ARS at 8 weeks

Dear Dr.

Hi, I have noticed you helping so many people on this site, and I plan on donating to the site when I get paid this week. Anyways, I received unprotected oral sex from a call girl. This has been my first and only sexual experience, I know this is considered low risk, but I have had a sort of mosquito like rash in between my thighs, left armpit, and a few on my body around the bellybutton. A doctor at the ER said it was scabies by just looking even though until this week there were no marking on or around my hands and feet. I fear this is ARS rash, it has been going on for about 6 weeks now, and now I have developed a pain in the side of my neck. Along with these symptoms I have had rapid weight loss and loss of appetite, which may be due to lack of eating due to worry. I didn't eat for about a week and lost 11 pounds. Now today my throat has become a bit irritated, I am afraid I got ARS late, and its hitting me now. I had a negative HIV antibody test at 49 days, but right now I am just scared. My questions are do you think I could have the disease, and would ARS hit at the 8 week point, and the rash last this long? The rash scares me cause the stuff on my arm is clearing up with no meds. Again thanks for taking your time to read this and I wish you the best of luck, God Bless!

You are correct: Unprotected oral sex carries only a very, very low risk for acquiring HIV. You are also correct that your anxiety is causing your lack of appetite, which in turn is resulting in weight loss.

Your 49-day negative HIV-antibody test is encouraging, but not yet definitive. You'll have to wait until the three-month mark for that.

Responding to your specific questions:

1. Would ARS hit at eight weeks? No.

2. Would an ARS rash last six weeks? No.

My advice is that you see a dermatologist if your rash is persistent or bothersome. Get a single three-month HIV-antibody test to put your largely unwarranted HIV fears permanently to rest.

Thank you for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's very much appreciated. In return, I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your conclusive three-month HIV-antibody test remains negative. I'm quite confident it will.

Early Meds or wait until CD4 drops?
Oral sex and fever after that.