Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Condom after Bare Insertion (BAREBACKING TOP/POSSIBLE INFECTION)
Jan 23, 2010

Hi Doc, Ive read many of the realted topics but mine is a bit special... Im 20, and i live in the philippines and ive had 9 sexual encounters since i was 18. 4 intially women then the latter 5 men. Ive tested negative on all 3 hiv tests prior to last months(DEC 8 Negative, January 15 Positive). Late november i had protected sex with a friend(male) who i knew was hiv positive but we made sure the condom was put on properly, i was the receptive person and it was our third time he did not ejaculate. In the same week of november i met up with a guy i had never met around the same age as i am. He informed me that he had just had sex a couple of hours ago and in my stupidity, i continued even if i knew he slept around. I was the insertive person. I did not wear a condom for about 20 seconds till i got scared and wore it and continued till i ejaculated. Two weeks later, i develop a high fever and swollen gums and i did not feel right. So i had myself tested. My results have come back as positive in my elisa(i had 2 tests done on the same day in different places, both came back positive and were sent for wb) and i am still waiting for my wb results. If i am infected which is more likely than not, was my risk factor increased because i had not washed my penis before inserting the condom? Because technically, in this situation i am the very unlucky individual who contracted hiv from 1 encounter being the "top" in the picture. Do i have a chance that maybe i have some antibodies after a regualar viral infection that are non-hiv related reacting with my ELISAs? I also developed a dry cough 1 week after my fever went away. In your experience what are my chances of being negative? My doctor said that there are 1000 plus documented cases here in my country which makes me part of the unlucky 0.1 percent and in his experience he has never had a false positive result for elisa.... Im so young.....but i am handling it properly... a reply would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Juan

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Juan,

Your HIV-acquisition risk, despite the brief encounter and being the top guy, remains significant. Barebacking is risky business, top or bottom! Developing fever and other symptoms two weeks after your encounter and subsequently having two ELISA tests return positive results from two different testing sites is extremely worrisome. Is there a chance you had two false-positive results from two test sites on the same day? Almost anything is possible, but it would be very, very unlikely.

Write back Juan after you get your confirmatory test results, if you need additional advice.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Lipodistrophy as HIV Infection Sympton?
Next
YOU ARE AWESOME DR BOB - Please Read on !! I will not waste your time!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.