Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

High Risk? Condom broke..
Jan 23, 2010

Dr. Frascino,

I'm a first year university student. For the first time, I tried anal sex today. I knew anal sex is a very high risk for the transmission of HIV, so we used a condom. The guy wore a condom and put his penis into my anus, but for some reason, I felt the condom rip and pulled out RIGHT away (his penis was in me for literally 1 second).

The boy was my age (19) and he said that he works part time for the government and gets tested - he says he is negative.

What should I do? This happened three hours ago and I went and saw a doctor. He told me not to worry too much, but I am not sure what to do.

Any suggestions? I'm scared to death. Please help me.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I would agree with your doctor. Your HIV-acquisition risk would be extremely remote. If you are still in touch with your top gun, you could ask him to get a rapid HIV test. Results are available within 20 minutes. If he tests negative, you can relax considerably. The only risk if he tests negative would be that he is in his "window period." That would be an extremely unlikely scenario.

As for other suggestions:

Review proper condom technique. When used properly, they very seldom fail (break). Also, when having any penetrative sex, but particularly anal sex, remember: "lubrication is your friend." Use it liberally, and remember to make sure your lube is compatible with your condom!

Get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark to put any residual fears permanently to rest.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
RE:Will HINI Vaccination casued my HIV test result to be fault negative?
Next
Lipodistrophy as HIV Infection Sympton?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.