Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

syringe on bus seat ?
Jan 23, 2010

Hi I was recently taking the bus (a double decker) and I was getting along fine sitting downstairs at the back of the bus until we were about to get off at my stop when a man came down in front of me from the upstairs and told the driver he saw a syringe lying on the back seat upstairs and he should report it. Then I got off the bus and then became extremely paranoid that I had sat on a syringe.... but I didn't feel anything and if there had of been a syringe on the seat downstairs too I would have seen it but I started to panic I suffer from these thoughts alot and sometimes think I had been struck with a syringe and I would get hiv I have a really big phobia of getting hiv. Would hiv be transmitted this way by just being stuck with a syringe lying on a seat?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You "became extremely paranoid that (you) had sat on a syringe but didn't feel anything . . . ." Hmm. Dude, when's the last time you can remember someone jamming a steel needle into your gluteus maximus and you not noticing???? Still not convinced? Well, why not do your own little experiment. Get a sterile needle, position it on a sofa and then do a tush-push until you impale your heinie. Let me know if you feel it, OK? Your HIV risk is nonexistent, but your irrational fears are very real indeed. Consider getting counseling (psychotherapy) to help you confront these totally unwarranted worries.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Cher beau Docteur : Suis-je paranoaque ou réaliste ?
Next
Castlemans Link

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.