Really scared to death!

I have read your advice column and see there are people in the same boat. However I just need some reassurance and have a question. I recently went in to the OB for my 3 month check up (I am pregnant for a second time). She told me my blood test came back Elisa - Positive and WB - indeterminant. I am VERY low risk for possible HIV infection (married for 5 years/with him for 10)etc. So my doctor ordered a RNA testing and takes over a week to get results. I am panicked and don't understand what is going on. How can I have Elisa - positive (does this mean I have HIV - or have the antibodies for it?) Do you think I have it? I am so scared and can't even function. Thanks!

If you are in at "VERY low risk" for HIV, then your chances of being infected are also "VERY low" at best.

Pregnancy itself can cause the production of circulating proteins (antibodies) that cross-react with anti-HIV antibodies detected by HIV testing assays, leading to indeterminate or false-positive results. The archives of this forum are loaded with examples. Check out the chapter on pregnancy. You should find it both enlightening and reassuring.

Do I think you have HIV? No, I certainly do not! I'm confident your follow-up tests will confirm your HIV-negative status.

Should I postpone HIV test?
Holistic herbal therapy