PCR DNA or RNA

Dear Mighty Doc

It is adviced to do a PCR DNA for unclear ELISA results under your recommendation.. Is tis neccessary if subsequent ELISA for HIV 1/2 is NON-reactive?

The centre I went did a virus load using Abbott Realtime HIV 1 for me and it was stated "Not Detected" with a disclaimer that says this is not a screening test and result cannot be used to confirm HIV infection... So can I put HIV behind me if the test was done 12mths post exposure?

Is tis test reliable? Is this test comparable to the PCR DNA in determining HIV unclear status?

Thanks alot for your input about the tests. God Bless U.

Confused

Hello Confused,

If subsequent ELISA tests are nonreactive, there is no need to do PCR testing to sort out an "unclear ELISA result".

The Abbott Realtime PCR HIV 1 test is not recommended as a diagnostic test. It's used primarily as a monitoring test for assessing the response to antiretroviral therapy in HIVers. It's reliable when used for its stated purpose.

Is testing when you have a fever reliable
absolutely no logic in your expanations