speck of spit landed in my mouth

Dr. I searched for a similar question but did not find one. I was talking to a security guard one day two weeks ago and a speck of his spit landed in my mouth. I thought nothing of it at the time (besides yuck) but since then it has grown into a major fear for me. I am happily married and totally monogamous for 10 years.

I am PARANOID that I could catch HIV or Hepatitis or somethinge else from this and bring it home to my family. It is keeping me up at night, affecting work, etc.

thank you so much for your advice. and God Bless.

You searched for a similar question and couldn't find one??? Hmm. You couldn't have searched too hard, as there are many questions similar to yours in the archives. I'll repost just one as an example below.

Your fears are unwarranted. Yes, you are being PARANOID, and no, you cannot contract HIV from a "speck of spit."

One last question - Only asked Once :) - I donated and hope I didnt make the Throw this one out List!! (SPIT, SPITTLE AND HIV TRANSMISSION 2010) Jan 20, 2010

Quick Question Dr. Bob,

What do you meen when you say essentially?

With these wet talkers - should I be wearing full-dressed scuba gear.

I guess just wondering if this is completely nonexistant. As you say to some - No Way, No How ect... Im just making sure this is a No Risk situation, and I don't have to think about this ever again.

After you asnwer this - I'm sure the next step is I'll go get my head examined. ( The one that is resting on my shoulders!)

Thanks a Bunch Dr. Bob and Keep up the Good Work on Helping Others. You are a saint -- Better than New Orleans. You won the Super Bowl of Life!

Rich

"Essentially nonexistent" means your chances are vanishingly remote. Yeah, I know your next question will be: What does vanishingly remote mean? Rich, the bottom line is that spittle is icky but it is not an HIV risk. Period. End of story.

WET TALKERS - I KNOW WITH YOU HUMOR YOU COULD HAVE A HAY DAY WITH THIS ! I WILL DONATE WELL. Jan 17, 2010

Dr. Bob,

I know you could have a GREAT time with this question, but I am really concerned given this happens a lot to me in business. I couldn't find this direct quetion in the archives. Please address this.

Let me elaberate on my senario.

Again in my Business I deal with a lot of people I have to talk with. It doesn't mattre if they are at my office or I have to entertain them at a Supper club.

So they ar talking to you and you feel little drops of spit either hit by your eye. or hit your eye. Or, if you feel spit maybe hit your face or by your lips.

Now what if I have a cut by my lip from shaving,(where the spit directly hits) or a sensative tongue ( I eat a lot of mint lifesavers so some mornings, you know you might have cut your tongue along the way). I guess you could paint a lot of situations.

Considering every senerio that you could ever think of. Is a wet talker (spit coming from anothers mouth during conversation and hitting you) What if even it flew in your own mouth with a raw tongue( from mints no doubt) What are your chances of getting Hiv this way? No matter how worse a guy is spraying spit when he is talking at you, and the spit hits the eyes or mouth. Let's say the guy is HIV positve. What are the chances of HIV in this manner or in any situation like this?

I will give a donation so I need to know where to donate.

Thank You in Advance for your Answer.

You are doing GREAT things by Helping so many others.

Thank You again for an Answer,

Rich

I will Donate - Could you please answer my question !! (Submitted Jan 16, 2010)

Dr. Bob,

You have my concerns. I hope you can give me an answer soon. I would like to move on and not think about dealing with all these people and being a little cautious. I'm sorry if you think maybe a little OCD might be lingering, but I have been wondering about this for quite some time.

Please give me a place to also make a donation.

Thanks,

Rich

Wet - Talkers (Submitted Jan 16, 2010)

Dr. Bob,

I guess also what I am wondering is if getting little hits of spit in or near the eye,,,, or near a razor cut,,, or on the lips so close it is pratically in your mouth.

If a person was HIV posititve -- Is there any chance of catching the HIV virus this way?

There's the question.

Thanks,

Rich

QUICK QUESTION - PLEASE HELP! (Submitted Jan 16, 2010)

Dr. Bob,

I have to Entertain Associates in my career. When we are at Supper Clubs. Sometimes some of these clients have one to many drinks.

They start talking and maybe I should say spraying.

My question is. If you feel little drops of spit either hit by your eye. or hit your eye. Or, if you feel spit maybe hit your face or by your lips. What are your chances of getting Hiv this way? No matter how worse a guy is spraying spit when he is talking at you and the spit hits the eyes or mouth. What are the chances of HIV in this manner?

I will give a doantion.

Thank You in Advance for your Answer.

You are doing GREAT things by Hlping so many others.

Thank You again for an Answer,

Rich

Rich,

You've submitted your question four times within the past 24 hours! My inbox wants to put a restraining order out on you! By the way, bombarding my inbox doesn't increase the likelihood or the speed with which I respond to questions. It actually just slows me down and sometimes I'll just skip folks who are excessively impatient and overly persistent. (Don't worry you didn't reach that category yet! But you were getting close!)

Whether suddenly surprised by being sprayed with spittle or gobsmacked by being smacked by a gob of spit in the eye or mouth from one of your soused clients, your HIV risk remains essentially nonexistent. Saliva that does not contain visible blood is not considered an HIV-infection risk.

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

Menatl HIV
Need your help to help (Thanks)