HIV

I am a man and have had one instance of anal intercourse with a woman and did not wear a condom in November. What are the chances of my contracting HIV? To my knowledge, she is not infected. I washed myself properly immediately afterwards. I have had a test for both STD's and HIV and received a text message on Friday telling me to return to the clinic one day next week. The text did not say it was urgent. I have no symptoms whatsoever but I do find it difficult to pass urine at the moment. I am worried big time.

The CDC estimates that the per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected insertive anal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 6.5 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated statistical HIV-acquisition risk would be less, as we don't know the HIV status of your gal-pal.

Regarding HIV testing, remember, you'll need an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark for a definitive and conclusive test result.

One final piece of advice: Stop barebacking! Had you dressed for the occasion in your special raincoat, you wouldn't be "worried big time" now!

Be safe or be sorry.

This fear is killing me now.
HIV testing and PEP