Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

This fear is killing me now.
Jan 19, 2010

Dear Doctor Robert,

first of all thank you for the opportunity for me to post questions to this incredible website that keeps cooling me down from the fear of HIV.

Recently (about a week ago) after I played tennis I went to massage parlour and ended with having protected vaginal sex with condom provided from the sex worker (malaysian). I am quite certain that the condom has a reservoir tip. After we had sex, I never checked again the condition of the condom and she took off from my penis and threw it away ( I feared that the condom broke, leaked, etc) and I also noticed that I got a small wound near my knee resulted from playing tennis.

My questions to you are: 1, What is the chance of me contracting HIV or any other STDs in this circumstance ? I know it is low but still this keeps killing me..I'm only 19. 2, I heard that when a condom has a reservoir tip, the probability that it is a latex condom is 99%. Is this true ? and is the condom safe as it is provided from the worker ? 3, For the past 1 week, this has haunted me, I couldnt study and exams are coming in May. What should I do ? Must I get tested ? What are your last words for me ?

I KNOW I'M BEING PARANOIA... SORRY FOR THIS DOCTOR...Please answer my question.. Thank you !!! Lots of Love !!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Protected sex is indeed protected, assuming the latex (or polyurethane) condom was used properly and did not fail, whether you're 19 or 99.

Most condoms are latex, reservoir tip or not. Condoms provided by sex workers are indeed safe. After all, the sex worker wants to protect herself from her horned-up, often clueless clients. Sex workers, after all, specialize in sex! They should be (and most often are) very informed in matters involving STD prevention, (including HIV).

If the condom did not fail (and I doubt it did), there is no need medically to test for this episode. However, you might consider a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark to help psychologically. Your fears are unwarranted. My "last words" are: Stop worrying and become more informed about HIV transmission and prevention. Reading through the archives of this forum would be an excellent way to start!

One last note, you write: "I KNOW I'M BEING PARANOIA . . . ." I agree, except it's PARANOID, not PARANOIA!

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Help please doctor
Next
HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.