some quick questions

Hello Dr. Bob

Thanks for your time.

1. I am 24. I used a lot of drugs from 16 to around 20. None of them intravenosly. Will this effect my 3 month window period.

2. Also would a metabolic disorder or slow growing lymphoma affect the window period.

3. How long from viral transmission via the urethra till it takes to get into blood stream.

4. I live in a town were hiv is unheard of, could they be doing my tests wrong. Should I go to a major city were they have more experience in testing.

5. If my 6 month test comes back positive, wich if it doesn't I will be donating 500 dollers to your charity kind of as a celebration and as a good gesture but if it doesn't I'm going to start treatment right away so I'm less infectious to others, if I did this does that mean I would develop resistance sooner because I didn't wait untill later stage infection when I will really need it.

Also I got an std which is why I'm testing I read that is automaticcaly high risk and warrents testing till 6 months. Is this true.

Thanks again.

1. Nope.

2. No, but if you feel you might have "a metabolic disorder or slow growing lymphoma," you ought to have that checked out, don't cha think?

3. Surprisingly not very long ago at all, but exactly how long depends on many factors, such as viral strain, viral load, concurrent infections etc.

4. Doubtful. These tests are idiot proof. Well, I'm sure Dubya could screw them up, but other than that, no.

5. No, actually I'm a strong advocate for early intervention to preserve immune function and decrease immune activation. Antiretroviral resistance is most often related to noncompliance with the drug regimen.

6. Contracting a STD does not automatically mean you are at high risk for HIV or that HIV testing should be extended to six months! Many STDs are extremely easy to catch. Luckily, HIV is not one of them! Barring unusual extenuating circumstances, your three-month test result would be considered definitive. Certainly the option to retest at the six-month mark is always open to you. However, if you test HIV-antibody negative at three months, I can just about guarantee you'll also test negative at six months. Thanks for your willingness to celebrate by making a donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Your one gift would touch many lives. In return for your generosity, I'm sending you my best good-luck/good-health karma that you are now and will always remain HIV free!

Be well. Stay well. Good luck.

I have some problem with my work
HIV and condoms