Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PEP in '91 vs Today
Jan 16, 2010

I wrote to you around Christmastime about a family member who is a nurse who got stuck with a needle. The patient was HIV positive with very high viral load. My sister-in-law (or not so in-law) went on PEP. She will be getting her 3 month test soon.

I was reading your personal story. You went on PEP when this happened to you in '91. Unfortunately, the PEP didn't work. Are the meds used for PEP better today? I think she said she was on Kaletra and Combivir as her PEP regimen.

By the way, I read your first blog. In the pic of you, your hubby, and doggy, it appears you have some really nice arms. Do you work-out a lot? If so, do you think it has helped your health and not just your looks? I'm sure it has as any exercise is good.

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

We didn't know much about PEP in January 1991, and we had very few approved antiretroviral drugs. The patient I was treating had advanced-stage disease and was most likely completely resistant to the few antiretrovirals we had available at the time. (We didn't have resistance tests back in 1991.) In retrospect, it's not too surprising my course of PEP failed.

Glad you liked the blog and thanks for the complement on the biceps! I hit the gym fairly regularly and yes, I do believe it's improved my health. Perhaps even more important, a good exercise program helps us look better naked.

Dr. Bob

Previous
No question just thank you - Sleepless in South Africa
Next
how to donate

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.