PEP in '91 vs Today

I wrote to you around Christmastime about a family member who is a nurse who got stuck with a needle. The patient was HIV positive with very high viral load. My sister-in-law (or not so in-law) went on PEP. She will be getting her 3 month test soon.

I was reading your personal story. You went on PEP when this happened to you in '91. Unfortunately, the PEP didn't work. Are the meds used for PEP better today? I think she said she was on Kaletra and Combivir as her PEP regimen.

By the way, I read your first blog. In the pic of you, your hubby, and doggy, it appears you have some really nice arms. Do you work-out a lot? If so, do you think it has helped your health and not just your looks? I'm sure it has as any exercise is good.

Thanks.

We didn't know much about PEP in January 1991, and we had very few approved antiretroviral drugs. The patient I was treating had advanced-stage disease and was most likely completely resistant to the few antiretrovirals we had available at the time. (We didn't have resistance tests back in 1991.) In retrospect, it's not too surprising my course of PEP failed.

Glad you liked the blog and thanks for the complement on the biceps! I hit the gym fairly regularly and yes, I do believe it's improved my health. Perhaps even more important, a good exercise program helps us look better naked.

No question just thank you - Sleepless in South Africa
how to donate