unusual transmission of aids

Hello, About two years ago I was bit by a monkey on a beach in Viet Nam. I was treated at a hospital. The bite was minor with very little blood. This particular group of monkeys unfortunately bite often. I was wondering about aids. I have two questions. 1. Seeing how hiv can be transferred by syringes etc. how possible is it that the monkey bit somebody and then bit me later in the day passing on hiv? To your knowledge has a transmission like this has ever happened? 2. Monkeys can carry a herpes virus which I was tested for. When getting my results the lab technician said it is remotely possible that the herpes virus could 'jump' straight to the nerves (or nerve cells) thereby avoiding detection in the blood test and giving a false negative. Could the hiv act this specific way too, 'jump' to the nerves and 'hide' from the test? I had a test for hiv (negative). (I understand no blood test is 100% sure) If you could answer these or provide any reassuring words I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks very much, Scott F.

Hello Scott F.,

1. Sure, someone could contract a STD, including HIV, from unprotected "monkeying around," but that would be an entirely different type of monkeying around. As for HIV from sequential monkey bites? Nah! No risk.

2. HIV cannot jump, skip, hop or cha-cha-cha! Nor can it "hide" from an HIV test.

Just THANK U
Can i just move on, what should i do Dr. Bob?