...I just wanted to say thank you.

Dear Dr. Bob,

A few years back I wrote to you in regards to my fear of having HIV. It's ironic that my first bf died of PCP, about a year and a half into our relationship. Even more ironic that I found out he was HIV+ the day he was admitted into hospital.

Following his death I had to somehow follow through and reconstruct my own life...I was 26...I've been lied to for a very long time by someone I trusted an loved. I was so scared...mostly scared to look into my mother's eyes knowing that it was possible that she will get to see me die young.

Back then I wrote to you...and you were kind enough to have responded, even though this really is not even your area of expertise on the site. I am now 29...indeed I got tested over a year into the hell of not really knowing, and I received a negative result. It goes without saying that in 1.5 years following his death I had a range of symptoms, from HIV...AIDS...cancer-all brought on by a very real fear, but in the end, unfounded.

It took me a long time to write and thank you. It is not that once I was ok it did not matter...far from it. I just was not sure what to say, and for a while just wanted to think that none of it really happened. But it did...this happens everyday...every hour...people lie without any realization that it may do more than just put a person's life at risk. Instead of becoming a solution, so many are just part of this problem. I don't know if and when there is an end to this epidemic, no one really does, and people will always lie-it's inevitable. That said-there will always be people like you.

I often think of you-without even knowing you personally, because whether you know it or not, you've had an influence on my life and my decisions, and on how I view this problem-which once seemed so far removed from my own life. Despite everything being done...it is not enough...despite me being healthy, I will still continue to watch others fall ill...and put others at risk.

I guess all I am trying to say, so awkwardly:) is Thank You.

Thank you for being open and willing to stay a human being even upon witnessing so many reasons not to. Thank you for being able to see the worry and fear of others while coping with your own. Thank you.

Thanks for your very kind comments and for writing in to share your story. I'm sure it will help others still experiencing the agony and anxiety of being in a similar situation.

Be well. Stay well.

URGENT! Is PEP recommended for my case? (exposure happened an hour ago)
Dr. Bob, i have a specific concern which is going on my mind, and only a specialist can answer it. Thank you.