The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Occupational exposure: I do not agree with Infectious disease specialist

Jan 14, 2010

Hello doctor,

I am a Physician's assistant and I was exposed to HIV positive blood from a patient. A nurse had mishandled a butterfly needle and it sprayed her and me with the blood of this patient. The patient has AIDS and obviously has a high viral load. She received the bulk of the spray and is on PEP because blood entered her eyes. The blood was mostly on my hands. The doctor assured me that he felt that neither testing nor PEP was necessary. What scares me is that I had a recent scrape which exposed a pinkish area. The area might have oozed a little bit of clear fluid a few minutes before the accident. I am worried that the expert was a bit too liberal in my case. The scrape/pinkish area was exposed to blood. Do you are with the expert?


Response from Dr. Frascino


I agree with the infectious disease (ID) specialist that your risk is negligible at best. However, I would have suggested or at least offered routine HIV screening for this extremely low-risk occupational exposure. Talk to the ID doctor and ask for routine screening if you remain worried. I'm quite confident it will be negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Not Gulliene-Barre-Diagnosed as Peripheral Neuropathy! Donation to follow tomorrow!
On life

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint