Tampon and HIV Transmission

Dear Doc I am trying to overcome my fear of being contracted with the HI virus but a week ago I first hugged and shook hands with a HIV positive cousin of mine and she then asked me for a tampon, then i went on my periods that same day and i used one of the remaining tampons now my in my mind I think I might have used a tampon which she could have used and put back in the packet, this happend on Sunday the 3rd and I used the tampon on the 5th, I then went on to open all the other tampons from their sealed packets to check if there was any blood or fluids, and put some in water to check if the water will change colour, and now I have flu like symptoms, I have even told my husband we will be using condoms and he wants a baby, what I would like to know after how long can I go for definitive HI testing? Is it possible to be infected by blood that has been left on a tampon for 3 days? I am really stressing and this is affecting all parts of my life. Are there tests that can give results within a week of possible exposure please Doc

You have a 'fear of being contracted with the HI virus," because you think your HIV-positive cousin put a used tampon back in your packet??? WOWZA, you just may qualify for our "most paranoid flutternutter of the week" award! So then you "went on to open all the other tampons from their sealed packets to check if there was any blood or fluids, and put some in water to check if the water will change color . . . ." YIKES!!! Just how much crazy powder have you been putting into your protein shakes lately??? I'm curious; just how would your cousin manage to put a used tampon back into a sealed package? Inquiring minds want to know. By the way you just cinched this weeks award. Congratulations!

Your fears are completely unwarranted. (Actually, they are major-league wacko.) HIV testing is not warranted. However, I would suggest you seek out counseling (psychotherapy) to help you confront and hopefully conquer your totally irrational fears.

Guillene-Barre Symtpoms! PLEASE!! I promise a DONANTION
Why?