Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Tampon and HIV Transmission
Jan 12, 2010

Dear Doc I am trying to overcome my fear of being contracted with the HI virus but a week ago I first hugged and shook hands with a HIV positive cousin of mine and she then asked me for a tampon, then i went on my periods that same day and i used one of the remaining tampons now my in my mind I think I might have used a tampon which she could have used and put back in the packet, this happend on Sunday the 3rd and I used the tampon on the 5th, I then went on to open all the other tampons from their sealed packets to check if there was any blood or fluids, and put some in water to check if the water will change colour, and now I have flu like symptoms, I have even told my husband we will be using condoms and he wants a baby, what I would like to know after how long can I go for definitive HI testing? Is it possible to be infected by blood that has been left on a tampon for 3 days? I am really stressing and this is affecting all parts of my life. Are there tests that can give results within a week of possible exposure please Doc

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You have a 'fear of being contracted with the HI virus," because you think your HIV-positive cousin put a used tampon back in your packet??? WOWZA, you just may qualify for our "most paranoid flutternutter of the week" award! So then you "went on to open all the other tampons from their sealed packets to check if there was any blood or fluids, and put some in water to check if the water will change color . . . ." YIKES!!! Just how much crazy powder have you been putting into your protein shakes lately??? I'm curious; just how would your cousin manage to put a used tampon back into a sealed package? Inquiring minds want to know. By the way you just cinched this weeks award. Congratulations!

Your fears are completely unwarranted. (Actually, they are major-league wacko.) HIV testing is not warranted. However, I would suggest you seek out counseling (psychotherapy) to help you confront and hopefully conquer your totally irrational fears.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Guillene-Barre Symtpoms! PLEASE!! I promise a DONANTION
Next
Why?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.