PEP and HIV Test Accuracy

Hello Dr. Frascino.

First, thank you for all the time you take to answer all of our questions. Although I am still not in the 100% clear of my HIV scare, your information and advise in this forum has helped tremendously.

I have one quick question: 8 weeks ago, I had sex with an HIV+ person. There was mutual oral sex, rimming, and I was the incertive partner for about 1 minute of unprotected anal sex. I then put a condom and continued. I only found out about his status about 15 minutes into it. I already understand the HUGE mistake I made even if it was only 1 minute of unprotected sex and of course have had sever anxiety and guilt over the incident.

I went on PEP treatment of just truvada for 30 days. I tested 30 days after the exposure upon finishing my Truvada and it came back negative. I tested again 3 days ago, making it 8 weeks after the exposure and it came back negative.

My question is this: Having been on Truvada for 30 days, will that in any way delay an accurate rapid test. I see a lot of websites that state that a 6 week rapid test is pretty accurate, but since I was on Truvada, will that still apply to me? I plan on testing again at 12 weeks, but just need to calm my nerves.

Thank you again, and I promise I will be making a donation to your charity.

It seems you are learning your lesson about the potential consequences of barebacking the hard way.

PEP was certainly advisable in this situation, because your buddy turned out to be positively charged. Post-PEP testing guidelines recommend HIV-antibody tests at six weeks, three months and six months from the date of exposure. Certainly any negative HIV test (including your negative eight-week test) is encouraging, but you will need to test out to six months for a definitive and conclusive post-PEP HIV-antibody test result.

Thank you for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated an urgently needed. In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your conclusive three-month and six-month HIV-antibody tests are negative!

Still with in 24 hours of potential exposure; Please help
HIV test and vitamin C interaction