Sorry about hectic orignial post but need HELP!

The first few posts I made were a little hectic and I am sorry for coming across desperate. I am however quite sure I have HIV. The pain I am experiencing in my right and left shoulders and mid back is like nothing I have every felt before. All my joints , bones, hurt like I have been hit by a bus. In addition my hip is deteriorating to the point where I can't sit comfortably and it hurts to walk. I know you said not to self diagnose but I am in serious pain Doc, and now my wife has been getting diahrea , fatigue, sore throat and the same problem in her left shoulder that started with me like 6 months ago. I have tried my doctor, I am at a loss as to what to do. I believe I must have been infected years ago and let my immune system run down too low before testing, is this possible doctor? You said not to diagnose myself and I understand as I am not a doctor but I am quite sure I have MAC as well as avascular necrosis, I feel like I am slowing down to the point where I might die, that is why I am so desperate. I don't want to die but I can't get help because of my previous negative test result. I had blood taken last week for another HIV test, if it comes back negative what can I do? I know you hear people say all the time that the "know" they are infected but I beg you, I am sure of it. I can barely lift my right arm and it is swollen by my collarbone, I did nothing to injure this, it has to be an infection. I am asking from the bottom of my heart for your help Doctor as you seem both wise and compassionate, sincerely scared and in pain, Mark.

Hello Mark,

I don't doubt you have symptoms. However, if you continue to test HIV negative, the cause of those symptoms is not HIV. You do not have MAC (mycobacterium avium complex) or avascular necrosis! (Unless you've been to medical school and also run some very sophisticated tests, you could not diagnose these conditions.) If your doctor can't help you, get a second opinion. If no physical cause can be determined for your symptoms after the second opinion, you should be evaluated for psychosomatic illness.

Your fears that you were "infected years ago and have let your immune system run down too low before testing" are unwarranted. HIV disease just doesn't work that way.

There is an excellent chance that, like so many other who present to this forum with "symptoms" and repeatedly negative HIV tests, your problem is not HIV, but rather fear of HIV.

Dr Bob - A wonderful human being, healer, and friend
How Reliable are the tests?