Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sorry about hectic orignial post but need HELP!
Jan 11, 2010

The first few posts I made were a little hectic and I am sorry for coming across desperate. I am however quite sure I have HIV. The pain I am experiencing in my right and left shoulders and mid back is like nothing I have every felt before. All my joints , bones, hurt like I have been hit by a bus. In addition my hip is deteriorating to the point where I can't sit comfortably and it hurts to walk. I know you said not to self diagnose but I am in serious pain Doc, and now my wife has been getting diahrea , fatigue, sore throat and the same problem in her left shoulder that started with me like 6 months ago. I have tried my doctor, I am at a loss as to what to do. I believe I must have been infected years ago and let my immune system run down too low before testing, is this possible doctor? You said not to diagnose myself and I understand as I am not a doctor but I am quite sure I have MAC as well as avascular necrosis, I feel like I am slowing down to the point where I might die, that is why I am so desperate. I don't want to die but I can't get help because of my previous negative test result. I had blood taken last week for another HIV test, if it comes back negative what can I do? I know you hear people say all the time that the "know" they are infected but I beg you, I am sure of it. I can barely lift my right arm and it is swollen by my collarbone, I did nothing to injure this, it has to be an infection. I am asking from the bottom of my heart for your help Doctor as you seem both wise and compassionate, sincerely scared and in pain, Mark.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Mark,

I don't doubt you have symptoms. However, if you continue to test HIV negative, the cause of those symptoms is not HIV. You do not have MAC (mycobacterium avium complex) or avascular necrosis! (Unless you've been to medical school and also run some very sophisticated tests, you could not diagnose these conditions.) If your doctor can't help you, get a second opinion. If no physical cause can be determined for your symptoms after the second opinion, you should be evaluated for psychosomatic illness.

Your fears that you were "infected years ago and have let your immune system run down too low before testing" are unwarranted. HIV disease just doesn't work that way.

There is an excellent chance that, like so many other who present to this forum with "symptoms" and repeatedly negative HIV tests, your problem is not HIV, but rather fear of HIV.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dr Bob - A wonderful human being, healer, and friend
Next
How Reliable are the tests?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.