Dr Bob - A wonderful human being, healer, and friend

Dear Dr Bob, I was the one who asked you the question titled "Insertive Oralisterine Sex, Dry Cough, Chest Pains (LISTERINE 2010)" dated 9 January 2010. I just write to register my heartfelt appreciation for your kind and reassuring (and humourous) answer to my question. You are a wonderful human being, healer, and friend. I will definitely write in to tell my story (unprotected insertive oralisterine sex) after I take the test at the 3 month mark. In the meantime, I wish to tell all readers of the forum (assuming you post this, Dr Bob) that it is not worth it to have unprotected sex (whether it be oral, vaginal or anal). I say this because the 3 month window period is enough to drive people insane. Folks, stay healthy as health is indeed the real wealth. Take care.

Less (but still) Worried in Singapore

Hi Less-But-Still-Worried,

Thanks for your thanks.

Good luck. Be well.

Insertive Oralisterine Sex, Dry Cough, Chest Pains (LISTERINE 2010) Jan 9, 2010

Dear Dr Bob,

I only ask this question as I am genuinely unable to find the answer to it in the archives. The closest question to my question is the one titled "Oral Sex with Listerine" dated November 8, 2005 in the Oral Sex forum, which was in relation to "rimming" and NOT "insertive fellatio". My story - About 5 mins of unprotected insertive oral sex with a Chinese streetwalker in Singapore 16 days ago, who continously gargled and spat listerine 5 times while fellating me. I felt a stinge on my urethra and penis head during the episode. I did not notice whether there was any blood in her mouth as I was drunk. Dr Bob, I am not feeling well. 6 days after the incident, I have and continue to have a dry cough, chest pains, sore throat (pus in throat), persistent headache, stomach pains and a swollen gum on the lower right corner of my mouth. Having read the archives for the last 16 days, I know I should not diagnose myself based on symptoms alone, but should get a single test at the 3 month mark. Your answer to my question would clarify not only my doubts, but also, I hope, doubts of other readers of the forum. Even if you do not respond to my question as you may be busy or feel this is a low risk episode to respond, I just wish to express my heartfelt "thank you" to you for taking the time to read this question. God bless you and your work. Best wishes.

Worried in Singapore

Hello Worried in Singapore,

Another Listerine question??? What's up with that? (See below.)

Listerine or no Listerine, the HIV-transmission risk from unprotected insertive oral sex with a naughty lady from Shady Lane is extremely low.

You are correct: You should not self-diagnose based on "symptoms," as they are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. I agree with your plan to get a single HIV test at the three-month mark. The odds are all in your favor that you did not contract HIV from the Singaporean hooker with the ever-so-fresh breath!

Immediate HIV Exposure Question (LISTERINE, 2010) Jan 8, 2010

I was in a gloryhole situation at an adult bookstore. We exchanged unprotected oral, which I understand to be a low statistical risk albeit inadvisable. Before I knew what was going on he had placed his rear end to the hole, and I took a few shallow dips (the head of the penis only-forgive the terminology) before ejaculating just in and around the anus. Freaking out, I returned home, promptly urinated, thinking this might clear the urethra. I washed my penis and opening of urethra with Listerine. I did not feel any stinging sensation that one gets when antiseptic is applied to a cut. Then, with some amount of trouble considering my anxiety, I masturbated with the idea that this would further clear the urethra. The short anal exposure I had (approximately 15 seconds) was gentle, and now that I think about it, probably mostly contact with my partner's buttocks around the anus.

I expect that the involvement of someone who is casual about receiving unprotected anal at a bookstore raises a red flag in this encounter.

Essentially, I have three questions:

1. Were any of my precautions sensible? completely overboard? or completely useless if exposure occurred?

2. What type of HIV testing schedule might I adopt to monitor my risk at the moment? (I am aware that immediate HIV- testing does not preclude infection.)

3. Is there any statistical data on this type of encounter that you might draw upon to make a guess about my situation?

I know this is tedious, but I appreciate your time in responding to this.

"I expect that the involvement of someone who is casual about receiving unprotected anal at a bookstore raises a red flag in this encounter." Hmm. Yep. I'd say that should raise more red flags than Chairman Mao's birthday in Tiananmen Square.

You dipped your tallywhacker in Listerine??? Why? Did Mr. Happy have halitosis? Somewhat surprising, you're not the first person to do this. See below.

Responding to your specific questions:

Sensible? No. Overboard? Yes. Useless? Most likely.

The best HIV diagnostic test remains the HIV-antibody test at three months.

Population statistics aren't all that helpful for individual bouts of nookie. Your risk is significant enough to warrant testing.

BLOW JOB Jan 7, 2009

I GOT A BLOW JOB FROM A WHORE... 5 HOURS LATER, THE TOP OF MY URETHRA STARTED TO ITCH...

I POUR LISTERINE ON MY MEMBER ABOUT 40 MINS AFTER THE EXPOSURE.

COULD THAT ITCH BE FROM AN STD THAT QUICK?

You poured Listerine on your Mr. Happy??? Why? Does he have bad breath?

Dude, your one-eyed monster is most likely not all that happy with his mouthwash spritzing and that's why he's itching! I'll repost below some questions from the archives pertaining to Listerine.

does listerine kill HIV Nov 4, 2007

A few nights ago, I had protected sex with a womean whom I had just met. It was a casual encounter. About 45 minutes into it, I realized that the condom was no longer on my penis. I immediately pulled out and put on another condom. I finished in about 5 more minutes, and now I'm pretty scared. I don't really know the status of the woman I was with, so after I got home, (about 1 hour later, I poured listerine on myself. My questions are: What are my risks for contracting HIV from this encounter- if the condom was off for 3-5 minutes, is it at all likely that I may have contracted HIV? Would the listerine do anything to kill the virus? I know I probably sound pretty stupid, but I'm freaking out and would really appreciate any feedback regarding this. I'm planning on getting tested, but I know that I have to wait, and I'm pretty sure that I'll go crazy before the wait is up. Please help.

Condom failure resulting in 3-5 minutes of unprotected sex does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Consequently I agree testing is warranted at the three-month mark. Does Listerine poured on your tallywhacker kill HIV? No, but I'm quite confident your Mr. Happy certainly won't have to worry about halitosis for quite some time.

Good luck on your three-month HIV test.

fraked out for no reason or am I?????? Mar 28, 2004

HI DR. Bob

this is my third time asking this question, I was with a sex worker and i asked if i could cum on her face. She was all calm with it , so when i did cum she started to lick the cum off my hand, I had a three day old cut on my hand. I cant remember if i wiped my hand dry or licked it, any ways I freaked out and started to spit all over my hand to clean it, i heard saliva inhibits the virus. But i also put saliva on my cut. When i got home I started to think , she offered a blowjob with no condom, so what if if there was someone elses cum in her mouth and i licked it off my hand and put it on my cut along with saliva.

So here are my three questions,

1. Can my saliva inhibit someones elses cum or saliva with hiv in it.

2. How long can cum stay alive in the mouth along with the virus.

#. What is my risk from this situation.

Please help Dr. Bob, i promise i will donate , just dont have a credit card.

So your hooker wanted a spunk-protein facial, you popped a load of man-juice, and then everyone lapped it up off your sticky fingers, which had a three-day-old cut on them. OK, that sounds fairly routine, but didn't your hooker wonder what was up when you then started frantically hocking up gobs of loogies and spitting all over your hand "to clean it?" OK, never mind, she's probably seen much weirder behavior when she works the Republican National Conventions. First off, your three-day-old cut was probably reasonably well healed, unless, of course, you had cut it with a chainsaw. Next, spit is not a sterilizing solution. Next, just how much cum do you think your date could have been savoring in her mouth? Even if she gargles with jizz instead of Listerine, transferring HIV via this route would be completely improbable.

OK, on to your three specific questions:

1. Saliva does contain some properties that inhibit HIV, but to what extent, we don't know. Let's just say it's not a recommended form of HIV prevention just yet.

2. As I hope you would probably guess, there are no clinical studies on this. To conduct them would be more than a bit unethical, don't you think? Even hypothetically, there would be way too many variables to consider viral load, viral strain, saliva characteristics, etc.

3. I'd say your risk was essentially nonexistent. Hope that helps calm any fears.

Thanks for the donation! Continue to play safe and you'll stay safe.

mexican toilet water Apr 3, 2003

Dear Robert,

I hope you have time to answer this question it has given me a tremendous amount of anxiety. This summer in Mexico I unfortunately drank way too much tequila and was told the next day by someone that i "was gargeling toilet water" and that they found me in the bathroom with my head in the toilet they then proceeded to pick me up and throw me out on the street. I woke up when i landed on the street and stumbled home. My anxiey of course is centered around having my head in the toilet. This was the first time i ever blacked out on alcohol so my imagination is running wild. I know from eveything i read that HIV is not transmitted via toilets but what if i ingested fluids from a toilet would that change anything. I got tested for HIV at planned parenthood 50 days after the incident which was negative. The counselor told me that she did not think that i needed any further testing. I then got tested for hepatitus A, B, and C which were all negative at 5 months. I was told by my physician that there was nothing to worry about and she thought the story was funny and that her husband had a night like that in mexico as well. I'm sure i am not the first person to have a night like this in mexico involving tequila. My first question is how long would an infectious fluid survive on a toilet seat or in toilet water. Secondly when people say direct does that mean directly from one person to the other. I would also like to know what test generation are the elisa's used by planned parenthood, and finally is this considered a no risk incident. Thank you for your time and the service you provide. I really beleive if there was no such thing as the internet i would not still be thinking about this. Thanks again

Well, I dont know if Id call "gargling toilet water" after blacking out from too much tequila in Mexico exactly a "no-risk incident." Id say its fairly risky, but not for HIV. Luckily, your tests for hepatitis A, B, and C are negative. By the way, there are very good vaccines to protect you against hepatitis A and B. As for HIV, your risk is extremely low. Your 50-day test is encouraging; however, in general, a 3-month test is required to rule out infection after a possible exposure. Youre mistaking the Mexican toilet bowl water for Listerine does not qualify as an exposure. Im amazed you didnt get diarrhea. Most folks get Montezumas Revenge just from crossing the border, let alone doing a swan dive into the tidy bowl. You must be one lucky guy.

As for your specific questions, HIV doesnt live long outside the body (or in Mexican toilet bowls). There are no scientific studies to say exactly how many seconds it would survive under those conditions. (Cant imagine why someone hasnt wanted to fund that clinical study yet.) As for what generation test your planned parenthood is using, how would I know? Im not a clairvoyant. Call them and ask them. Finally, regarding risk, well, you might want to talk to someone about your alcohol intake if you are getting to the blackout stage. Good luck.

Oral Sex with Listerine

Dear Doctor Frascino,

I have one time had sex with a prostitute, she did rinse her mouth with listerine and spray listerine on my anal before she licked me. Can Listerine Kills the HIV virus in her mouth? I am not sure if I have cut in my anal but if I have cut in my anal,and was sprayed with Listerine does it help?

Thanks again.

She sprayed Listerine on your butt before she licked it???? Gosh, who were you having sex with? A dental hygienist?

Relax Dude, Listerine or no Listerine, there have been no recorded cases of getting HIV from rimming or getting rimmed. From an HIV perspective, I see no cause for alarm.

Stay well.

HIV virus enter penis head? Mar 8, 2007

How easy can hiv virus enter your penis head? Can you wash it with acohol or Listerine right after sex or squeeze the head so the acohol can enter your penis to kill the virus? If this method will not work, will it be effective at all? I had unprotected sex last 3 times with 3 different ladies and I cleaned myself well after each sex, in the last 10 months, I started develop post nasal drip last 4 months, then some cough, I developed also white or yellow patch on my tongue, I suspect that might be mucus from the mucus drips. I analyse myself everyday and I think I might have HIV virus. I am not afraid of death contract but I have 3 small children and a kind-hearted wife. I am afraid that I might infect her, we have not involved in sex since July (7 months ago). I noticed my thighs also developed some red bumps, 1 or 2 large bumps on my chest appeared and disappeard in 3-4 days. I also have stiff neck and some pimple on my face near the sideburns. The post nasal drip also effected on my wife so I am so afraid she is infected as well. My son has has asthma and little 2 years old girl has sinus as well. I tested 2 years ago was negative. I don't know if the hospital tested my little girl for HIV before she was released from new born. I am so stressed out. I think a CHEATER like myself deserved the consequence. It's hard for me not to fantasize about sex. I control myself and pray everyday to GOD but still addicted to sex. I think this is an awakening bell for me to focus in my family. I am so stressed out. I just opened 2 more million dollars like restaurant and investment companies, both businesses are doing so well. We are making more money in our life than ever. I don't want the LORD to take me at this time because I now LOVE my family, so deeply that I could sacrify anything to bring our health back. I am so afraid of going to test because WHAT WILL HAPPEN if my analysis about my HIV are right? Please give me some care and answer this posting. Thank you.

In general HIV is not all that easy to contract! For instance, the estimated per-act statistical risk for acquiring the virus from unprotected insertive vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000 exposures. If the HIV status of the partner is not known, that estimated statistical risk decreases significantly.

As for squeezing the head of your tallywhacker so alcohol or Listerine can enter it in hopes of killing the virus, all I can say is OUCHAMAGOUCHA! Not only would this not be an effective means of HIV prevention; it would also hurt like hell! If you want to prevent HIV, use a latex condom, not a liquid breath freshener!

Regarding your symptoms (and those of your family), these are not suggestive of or worrisome for HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS) or HIV disease.

My advice:

1. Get an HIV test three months or more after your last potential HIV exposure.

2. Use a latex condom and water-based lubricant for all penetrative sex.

3. Get counseling for your "sex addition" problem.

4. Level with your wife about your problem and your indiscretions. It's not only the best way to confront your guilt and anxiety surrounding this entire issue; it's also the right thing to do. Use latex condoms with your wife until your HIV tests confirm your negative status (three months or more after your last potential exposure).

I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive HIV test will be negative.

Stay safe and you'll stay well.

Regarding No Comment Schizophrenic Potty Mouth
Sorry about hectic orignial post but need HELP!