Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What do you think?
Jan 10, 2010

For the past 4-5 months I have been going through the process of testing and retesting due to a pos Elisa, neg WB. Then I retested at the 3 month mark and it was a pos Elisa and Indeterminate WB. I ended up going to an ID MD and he did a DNA PCR test. He called me a few days later and said that I was "in the clear". Apparently, all the viral markers came back at way under the 48 marker. My last possible day of exposure was 8/21/2009 and I did the PCR test was Dec 1, 2009. I asked the MD if I should have the HIV testing done again in a month as my PCP wanted me to do after the indeterminate result at the end of November. I just went to retest a couple days ago and Im wondering what the chances are that my results will come back pos? Its just that the 1st one was neg, then indeterminate, so Im nervous that this one will come back pos...just seems like the direction its going in...Im pretty confident that its going to either be neg or indeterminate again since I had the DNA PCR test and that was neg. Its all so much to take in, just trying to wrap my head around it. Thanks for your time Doc!

Worried76

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Worried 76,

I completely agree with the infectious disease doctor. You are definitively and conclusively not infected with HIV. No way. No how. No additional HIV testing is warranted. It's quite likely you will continue to test "indeterminate," due to any of a variety of reasons. However, your undetectable qualitative HIV DNA PCR can be considered definitive proof of your negative status. You can read more about false positives and indeterminate HIV-antibody test results in the archives of this forum. Have a look!

Be well. Stay well. (Yes, you are indeed "well.")

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dr. Bob, got the letter from you during christmas.
Next
can a person go from aids back to hiv

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.