Re: Strippers on a bus

Dr. Bob,

This is hopefully my last follow-up question. Despite your reassurance that I didn't do anything to put anyone at risk, I still needed to get tested to prove to myself that I wasn't infected. I was tested at 9 weeks + 3 days and 12 weeks + 2 days (86 days). Both tests came back negative for HIV 1/2. Is the 12 week + 2 day test considered conclusive, or do I need to test again after 13 weeks? Since I have had no other exposures, is it safe to be with my wife again? Thank you for all that you do to help us.

Worried in the Bay Area

Hi Worried in the Bay Area,

Yes, your negative HIV test at 12 weeks and two days is definitive, conclusive and WOO-HOO-able, just as we predicted. No further testing (or worrying) is warranted.

Start WOO-HOO-ing, OK?

Be well. Stay well.

RE: Stipper on a bus Dec 19, 2009

Dr. Bob,

Well, I think I have gone off the deep end. During the show on the bus, I got a lap dance and grabbed the boobs of the girl. All of my friends say that I didn't do anything more than that. In fact, they insist that Mr. Happy stayed wrapped up the entire time in my jeans. The lap dance didn't involve much grinding if any. They also say that I didn't put mouth to boob. I know you previously said this is a no risk ordeal. However, about four weeks after, I felt really run down and tired.

My mind is running in all of these circles and I can't get it to stop. I have confided everything to my wife and while she is pissed, she is sticking around. I am just so afraid that I have put her and my daughter in danger.

Jumping back to the exposure risk, I am now wondering if I had any cuts on my hand. I don't know if there was any breast milk/secretion coming from her. I am also wondering if I had the cuts and rubbed the outside of her vagina, could I pick up HIV this way.

As you can see I am not doing very well. I have started taking anti-anxiety medication but it doesn't do the job. I had blood drawn for an antibody test on Tuesday afternoon. The waiting is killing me. Since it will have been 9.25 weeks since the exposure, will I need further testing if it comes back negative.

Thank you in advance for you response.

Worried in the Bay Area

My assessment of your HIV-acquisition risk from your bachelor party bus-stripper shenanigans remains completely unchanged: no risk! Your fears about cuts on your hands or breast milk from the bodacious bouncing tatas, etc. are completely unwarranted.

You complain about feeling really rundown and tired. You also state your "mind is running in all of these circles and (you) can't get it to stop." Well, with all that constant running, no wonder you're feeling fatigued and wiped out. Actually, anxiety, stress and depression are frequently associated with fatigue and this is most likely the cause of your current problem. Guilt can also play a role. Please note since your HIV risk is nonexistent, you have not placed your wife or daughter in any danger whatsoever. I'm glad you are taking anti-anxiety medication. If it's not adequately helping, you should ask your doctor for a referral for counseling (psychotherapy). The combination of counseling and anti-anxiety and antidepressant medications should help you confront and conquer your irrational and completely unwarranted fears. I'm absolutely confident that your "9.25 week" test as well as your definitive three-month HIV tests will be negative.

Be well. Happy Holidays.

Strippers on a Bus Dec 13, 2009

Ex-Worried Well writing to you once again and yes, I am talking about strippers. During a bachelor party, a couple of ladies showed up and gave us a show. My question, if there is no vaginal sex or oral sex (really, I didn't), is there a chance of HIV transmission? How about grabbing and sucking on boobs (I did do this)? I have been having some very restless nights. I figured that if you don' have sex, there really isn't any chance of transmission. Am I wrong?

I have given in the past and have the most recent newsletter in the to do file. I will be making a donation shortly. I appreciate all the work that you do and look forward to your response.

Worried in the Bay Area.

Hi Worried in the Bay Area,

The bachelor party was on an bus? Hmm. Interesting venue.

You can relax Max. There is no HIV-acquisition risk from manhandling bodacious silicone-enhanced tatas, whether you are frequenting your local Badda Bing or riding a crosstown bus. The same holds true for noshing on the nubile nipples.

Thanks for your ongoing support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated during this holiday season.

Be well. Stay well. (You are indeed well.)

What would you do...
Dr. Bob, got the letter from you during christmas.