Female Condom + Male Condom = ?

Hi Dr. Bob, I have a question about female condoms. I have been told that I should not let my partner use a male condom while I am using a female condom (for extra protection). I read in one of your archives that it is OK to use both at the same time. Which way is correct and why? Thanks so much! Jodie

Hi Jodie,

Opinions differ on this point. The worry is that the friction of the two condoms rubbing together may increase the risk of the condoms breaking. This has been noted in some reports in which two male latex condoms were used. However, since the female condom is made of polyurethane, if the male used a latex condom and plenty of lubricant, it would be doubtful that excessive friction would be a problem, in my opinion.

Insertive Oralisterine Sex, Dry Cough, Chest Pains (LISTERINE 2010)
Need help to keep sanity