Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Neurological symptoms/swollen glands....ARS?
Jan 8, 2010

Dr. Bob. How common are Neuro symptoms with ARS? How do they typically manifest? I had an unprotected sexual encounter about 5 months ago. About 7 weeks later I developed Neuro symptoms. I woke up Monday morning with numbness in my left leg only. As the morning progressed it became very painful and I developed severe spasming and twiching in the leg. It was so severe that I considered going to the ER. This gradually improved during the week until Friday when it subsided. I also had a continuing headache. What concerns me also is that by Thursday I developed painful swollen glands in my neck and my armpits along with an unusual rash on my abdomen. No fever or other symptoms. I thought I might have ALS as some of the symptoms were similar, except for the swollen glands and rash. Clearly, it's not ALS. What really scares me is that the painful swollen glands in my neck and especially in my armpits along with the rash have continued till now. Haven't had any fever or night sweats. Just the painful swollen glands, and YES they are real, not imaginary. Dr. Bob, can you please offer some words of wisdom? Thanks!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Can I offer some words of wisdom? Sure thing. STOP HAVING UNSAFE SEX!

Neurological symptoms occur in approximately 12% of acute retroviral syndrome (ARS) cases. These symptoms include aseptic meningitis, meningoencephalitis, peripheral neuropathy, facial palsy, Guillain-Barré syndrome, brachial neuritis, cognitive impairment and/or psychosis.

Your symptoms occurring seven weeks after your risky sex-capade are not consistent with or suggestive of ARS.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Superinfection by Positive Partner
Next
bent penis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.