The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Superinfection by Positive Partner

Jan 8, 2010

My partner and I are both positive. However, I have been positive for 1 year and he's been positive for 6 years. I am undetectable with cd4 of 540 (taking Truvada and Isentress, although my kidney levels have spiked a little, my doctor is concerned that Truvada could be the culprit). He told me he was undetectable, yet he's been on meds off and on. Am I in danger of being superinfected if we have unprotected insertive sex? What are the chances of me contracting a virus more dangerous than the K103N virus I have been diagnosed with?

Response from Dr. Frascino


I've discussed this topic many times in this forum. Consequently I'll only respond briefly and then refer you to the archives for a more detailed response if needed, OK?

Commando-Rambo-barebacking is risky for a number of reasons:

Superinfection (dual infection) is indeed a possibility. Exactly how often this occurs is difficult to determine. It seems to be more common in early HIV disease. This risk, great or small, remains easily preventable by using condoms for penetrative sex. The consequences of a superinfection can be catastrophic. Why risk it?

Other STDs are out there and cannot only make life miserable, but can also result in a spike in HIV viral replication and loss of viral control.

Bottom line: Protect your bottom (and your top).

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Neurological symptoms/swollen glands....ARS?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint