The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

please help me

Jan 6, 2010


I have potential exposure 3 months back, after two weeks of the exposure I was diagnosed with typhoid and treatment was given. At 6 weeks i done a pcr rna test which gave 64 copies/ml and again at two months I done HIV DNA PCR test which is negative and at 9th week I done HIV-1 RNA PCR and it is also negative. A repeated rapid antibody tests up three months and all are Negative. After typhoid treatment, joint pains and also muscle pains started and still I am having those.

1) What is the possibility of HIV in my body.

2) Whether the Typhoid or Typhoid treatment will cause late Seroconversion or Will make the viral load to undetectable levels.

3) How accurate this anti body test which I did.

Please help me as these symptoms are ruing my life and i am newly married.

Response from Dr. Frascino


1. Essentially nonexistent.

2. No, absolutely not.

3. Your negative three-month antibody test would be considered definitive and conclusive. It corroborates the undetectable qualitative HIV DNA PCR test and the undetectable quantitative HIV RNA PCR at nine weeks. The minimally detectable PCR RNA (64 copies) at six weeks was a false positive as demonstrated by your subsequent undetectable PCR DNA, PCR RNA and negative rapid antibody tests.

Whatever is causing your "symptoms," one thing is certain: It's not HIV!

Be well. Happy 2010.

Dr. Bob

Unprotected sex with HIV positive...
serodiscordant couple!!!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint