Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

FEAR
Jan 5, 2010

hello Doc, Ever since a doc scared me of HIV for a small reason, I have got myself checked numerous times only because of fear and its all been negative. When I met the person who was a gay for a drink I developed a fear that he would have poked me with a syringe and now its been over three months and that turned out to be false since then its been just suspicion against many incidences like, suspecting the lady who drew my blood for a HIV in a lab. I suspected the lady in the lab 40days back, because the lady diverted me from observing if she is using a new syringe or not. Since I did not see her changing the needle I felt what if she is HIV positive and carrying a contaminated needle in her pocket and used that to draw blood. It turned out to be false as I got myself checked recently. Even the last time I got myself checked , I again forgot to watch if she used a new needle or not and again suspecting the same lady.

Doc, this is going on from the last five months. I have visited many phycatrists and physiologists and my fear and suspicion has remained. i know the only way I can get out of this is my clearing my suspicion. Doc, please tell me, even by the rarest of coincidence, if she is HIV positive and carrying a needle which she uses everyday to inject herself and then use it on others, I saw that the syringe was empty and if there is any blood left in the syringe needle, when she pulls back the tube to draw blood, does the blood inside the needle gets inside the vein? and does'nt the blood in the needle also gets mixed with the blood she has drawn from my vein inside the tube? When the test is finally done, does it not then, say that there is detectable antibodies due to blood from two different human beings? Doc please clarify this.

regards Alan

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Alan,

You're worried that a guy at the bar might poke you with a syringe of HIV-tainted blood, or that a laboratory technician might be carrying a concealed syringe that she, as an HIV-positive person, uses on herself and then on unsuspecting folks who are getting their blood drawn??? Hmm. The title of your post sums up your problem very accurately: FEAR! Your problem is not HIV, but rather fear of HIV. You may have visited many psychiatrists, but it's time to once again climb up on the shrink's couch. Alan, you've got issues bigger than the September issue of Vogue. The best I can do over the Internet is advise you that your fears are absolutely unwarranted and completely irrational. I urge you to get the psychiatric help you need; not more HIV tests that you don't.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Question pour un champion !
Next
Straight & Final Question + Donation Info

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.