Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Happy New Year! Dr. Bob, ($100 dollars donation)..Please help me with this question being asked three times w/o responses....please help me before conducting more test next week..PLEASE
Jan 3, 2010

Dear Dr.Bob,

Please disregard my earlier question, i wanna donate $100 dollars, not 50 dollars......Sorry to keep writing you this question in the post. I haven't had any responses from you. I know, now, it is new year weekend, i really hope to see your responses before conducting more tests next week....please...

After a possible exposure in late July (fully protected oral/insert sex, likely exposure: a few vaginal fluid reaching(by fingers) the wounds(a few, average size is 0.1 inch by 0.1 inch) due to skin rash on my back thigh, with a few blood 20+ minutes before sex).

I only used FDA approved whole blood Rapid test(Clearview h1/2 stat pak) to test in week 13, 18, 20 and 22.5. They all came negative. Since my likely exposure was in Macao, China, i noticed the common HIV subtypes(A,C,E(or CRFA/E)) there are different as the subtype(B) in the States. Therefore, i have several questions need your professional advices, 1) can modern "Rapid Test" approved by FDA and used in the States detect the antibodies produced by most common HIV-1 group M antibodies? 2) I found out the product instruction of Clearview H1/2 Stat Pak, the website is http://www.invernessmedicalpd.com/pdf/Clearview%20HIV%201-2%20STAT-PAK%20PI_05904.03.pdf" IN page 13&14, it addresses some subtypes that have been evaluated using this assay, I noticed the testes can detect the antibodies produced by individual subtype A and E. If the assay can detect the antibodies produced by individual A and E subtypes, does it mean it can detect CRF A/E? 3)Is different HIV subtype causing different window period? or the conservative window period for all known subtypes is three month? 4)What generation the Clearview H1/2 Stat Pak is? Can my result be conclusive? Do i need more test methods other than rapid test?

i will make a donation ($100 dollars) to your foundation this month. I want to appreciate your answer first and then write you back when i make the donation.

wish you best!! Andy

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Andy,

1. Yes.

2. It detects it as well as other comparable FDA-approved antibody tests.

3. No. The window period is the same.

4. Clearview HIV 1/2 would be a third generation test. (Fourth generation tests combine a p24 antigen test with the antibody test.) Yes, your repeatedly negative results out to 22.5 weeks would be considered definitive and conclusive. Your HIV exposure risk was negligible.

Thank you for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Happy New Year!

Dr. Bob

Previous
hiv positive, scared of revealing
Next
will I get HIV if he ejaculated on my tummy and some get into my belly button?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.