hiv pcr test

Dr Bob, I am the person who you answered in regards to the proected anal sex with a transexual sex worker in Spain. Thank You for the response and the encouragement.I was symptomatic so i did the HIV PCR test at ten days and it came back negative.I will take a normal antibody test at 3 months...however is this test accurate at all.I also read that a test at 6 weeks in most people is very encouraging...last time.. HELP...by the way i am donating again.

Any negative test (for HIV-antibody tests) or undetectable result (for HIV PCR tests) is encouraging. However, HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered definitive or conclusive. It is true that the vast majority of HIV-infected folks will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in their blood within four to six weeks following primary HIV infection. PCR testing is not recommended for routine HIV diagnostic screening, due to the level of false positives, other technical considerations and cost.

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation.

Good luck! Be well. Happy Holidays.

needle poke at a rave
Very Freaked