Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Scared Aussie OCD Dude Part II: Revenge of the Cyst!
Dec 28, 2009

Hi again Doctor Bob!

It's Scared Aussie OCD Dude again. I hope you're well! Thank you very much for answering my previous question, your reassurance was a huge help and very much appreciated.

I've just got some follow up question (more of A question, rather) related to another risk involving the infamous blocked sebaceous gland.

The blocked gland eventually developed into a cyst and burst during a sports activity (that is NOT a euphemism) and may have reopened a few days later. Either three or five days after the cyst had popped (depending on whether it had opened a second time)I had protected vaginal intercourse with a lady who was menstruating at the time. The site of the cyst was not covered by the condom and there was a significant amount of blood on the area. I remember checking the area briefly afterward and was quite surprised at how well it had healed. It had a similar appearance to a keloid scar.

The woman I had intercourse with was tested about four months ago and was HIV negative, however, she was having unprotected intercourse with a man who was born in South Africa where the HIV prevalence is quite high. He is, however, of Indian ethnicity and from what I've read people of Indian descent in South Africa have a lower HIV incidence (I read .03% in one study). She also stated that she had asked him if he had been tested and he said that he had and was clear of any diseases. I definitely wouldn't take anyone's word for it, but I'd like to think that most people would not lie about having been tested and receiving a negative result. Furthermore, he came to Australia when he was 16 so most of his sexually active years would have been in Australia, which hopefully reduces the risk somewhat.

I plan to get tested regardless, but I have some questions:

1. Is it likely that after three days, a small wound (such as that from a sebaceous cyst) would have healed sufficiently? It was near the base of my penis and therefore would not have had a lot of friction applied to it during the sexual activity.

2. How concerned should I be given the above information? I realise that in order for me to acquire the disease he would have had to have been HIV positive (which is unlikely given the above information), that she would have had contracted it from him (again, more unlikely than likely) and that my cut (which appeared to have healed sufficiently) would have had to have been reopened. Sooooooo.... Should I start swinging naked from the rafters or just try to relax while I wait until the window period elapses?

I followed through with my promise to donate last time and intend to do so again, definitely a worthwhile cause. I also received a flyer from your foundation a few weeks ago in regards to a concert, thanks for posting it out.

Thanks mate, hopefully "She'll be apples".

Very Scared Aussie OCD Dude.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Aussie OCD Dude,

I have no way of accurately determining how healed your small wound was over the Internet. If indeed it resembled a keloid scar, most likely it was not an open wound.

Although I always enjoy the mental image of horned-up Aussie studs swinging naked from the rafters, I'd have to say the more appropriate activity would be to chill out, because your HIV risk remains extremely slight based on the information you provided.

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending my good-luck/good-health karma that your definitive three-month test is negative.

Good luck. Happy Holidays Mate.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Terrible fear of HIV which is ruining my life...What should I do doctor?
Next
Thanks - Negative HIV results (so far) but similar symptoms

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.