Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Terrible fear of HIV which is ruining my life...What should I do doctor?
Dec 28, 2009

Please doctor I need your advice desperately,

I have this pathological fear of HIV. I have never had sex, I have never done drugs, I have never received a blood transfusion, and my parents don't have it. However, I remain constantly terrified of HIV. I fear it all the time. It is one fear after the other. I fear that there is contaminated blood all around me and that people are trying to infect me. I fear barbers, I fear sports, and I even fear contact with people I don't know. This fear is ruining my life. I fear testing because of false positives. I have been reading stories about how people have received false positives on their ELISA and how autoantibodies and other conditions can cause it to be negative. That is why I fear donating blood because their tests are really sensitive and I fear that I might get a false positive. These thoughts haunt me and I am on the brink of jumping off the RFK bridge. Not existing would be a better fate than constantly living in fear and agony.

Please doctor how can I overcome this fear?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The best way to confront and conquer irrational fears is to seek psychiatric help. Counseling (psychotherapy) can help folks overcome pathological fears, whether they are related to HIV, snakes, spiders, heights or to fears of being secretly related to Dick Cheney. Ask your doctor for a referral. It's much less painful, less messy and more logical than swan diving off the RFK bridge.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Can a Christmas donation get me a response?
Next
Scared Aussie OCD Dude Part II: Revenge of the Cyst!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.