Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Funky Blue Liquid (Gave Up on Dr. Google...Need Dr. Bob)
Dec 25, 2009

Dear Dr. Bob: I got my Christmas wish...you answered my question! I hope I'm not pushing my luck by asking another but its not in the archives (I just spent the last six hours searching). I previously told you about my visit to the Mani-Pedi Salon from Hell (which left me too scared to breastfeed my 9 week old). At that time I failed to mention that after they sliced my finger, they suddenly grabbed a small bottle containing a mysterious blue liquid which they pressed onto my bloody wound and squirted in. It stopped the bleeding within seconds. Dr. Google suggests it is likely a liquid syptic (whatever that is). All I can tell you is it burned!!! Problem...I'm certain they have touched the bloody wounds of every other poor victim they butchered before squeezing the (contaminated) liquid into my cut. Need your help...is my risk still non-existant? PS. I promise once I receive this answer I will get off the computer and feed the baby. My donation has been sent. A portion of whatever money I receive as gifts this Christmas will also follow. Thank you again.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Is your risk still nonexistent? Yep! HIV doesn't survive in "funky blue liquid" (or purple, chartreuse, magenta, or any other color either!).

Go feed the baby and stop worrying. You're fine and that kid is starving!

Happy Holidays.

Dr. Bob

Apparently breastfed babies are smarter...Dec 22, 2009

Dr. Bob:

I asked a question a few years ago and sent a donation, following which you were kind enough to send me a thank you note and DVD. So here I am, seeking your guidance again. After a tough pregnancy I decided to get a manicure. The not so talented manicurist proceeded to cut a chunk of skin from my finger. A bloody mess ensued. I proceeded to ask her how she sterilizes the cuticle cutter thing. She showed me how she puts some alcohol on a cotton ball and wipes it clean. YES...I was shocked too. My appointment was late in the day so she had MANY clients before me. I'm a little (OK A LOT) worried because I have a 9 week old baby who needs to eat. What are the chances of HIV or Hepatitis infection from this incident. A starving child (and her frantic mom) desperately need an answer (and another donation is en route).

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The not-so-talented manicurist cut a chunk of skin from your finger and caused a bloody mess??? OUCHAMAGOUCHA! Well, despite the great prices, in the future I'd suggest you steer clear of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre Mani-and-Pedi Salon.

Even though your manicure wound up looking like a scene from a Quentin Tarantino film, your only real health risk would be anemia from blood lost. Even an alcohol-soaked cotton ball wipe is sufficient (although perhaps not optimal) to ensure manicure tools do not transmit germs (including HIV and hepatitis). There is no reason for you to stop breastfeeding you nine-week-old or to be a "frantic mom." As you might imagine, there are lots of klutzy manicurists who nick their clients while preparing them for their "Jungle Red" Streisand nails. If this posed a significant risk for HIV, we would certainly know over a quarter of a century into the AIDS pandemic. Remember, HIV doesn't live very long outside the body. Add to that the alcohol wipe and combined your theoretical risk for viral transmission becomes so remote that it's essentially nonexistent.

Thanks for your tax-deductible donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

Be well. Happy Holidays.

Dr. Bob

Previous
A psychopath stabbed me!!!!! (NEEDLE STICK) (URBAN LEGEND, 2009)
Next
Possible Occupational Exposure

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.