Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Geographic Tongue & Timing
Dec 25, 2009

First of all, Merry Christmas!

I had unprotected vaginal (condom broke) sex with a woman I hadn't known long and haven't seen since the incident.

7-10 days later I had a sore throat for a week. Two weeks following that, I got a weird ulcer-like lesion on my tongue. It disappeared but came back a few months later. It wasn't an ulcer, but geographic tongue, which has spread and caused the typical patches plus white rings, and I have now had it permanently, and fairly extensively, for six months.

I have had negative HIV (1&2) & STD tests at 6 weeks, 3 months and six months - all negative.

But I am concerned by the timing and permanence of the geographic tongue. If the idea is correct that this is oral psoriasis, which is caused by wayward CD4s, then this would fit with HIV. In fact, the only incidences of chronic GT I have found are in Pos persons. I'm male, 30, and have no personal or family history of GT or psoriasis.

I was weighing up whether to get a PCR-DNA, but am concerned with false positives.

What do you think? Am I woo-hooable, or is another / different test warranted?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Yours,

GT-Man

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello GT-Man,

Your repeatedly negative HIV-antibody tests out to six months are definitive, conclusive and WOO-HOO-able. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV tests (including a PCR DNA) are warranted. Please note the vast majority of cases of geographic tongue, even chronic geographic tongue, have absolutely nothing to do with HIV/AIDS! This includes your case!

Stop worrying. Start WOO-HOO-ing.

Happy Holidays.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Should I start treatment?
Next
A psychopath stabbed me!!!!! (NEEDLE STICK) (URBAN LEGEND, 2009)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.