western blot?

well hi there. i went to hiv doctor in new haven. he said he doesnt think i have a lipo. but says i have thrush im my mouth. he oreded a western blot for me. that is the only test i never had done. the reason is is because you always said a western blot should not be done. it is only for after an positive elisa. anyways i remember a year ago or maybe a bit longer while i was seeing my doctor she wanted to give me a western blot and i told her no because of what you said . i just figure at the time you were right. well this doctor i just saw he started to tell me what the western blot is, dectect different bands. i dont know but i said ok. so he is doing the western blot and the hiv 1 2 test. and a std panel. my question is . Has anyone had a negative elisa and a positve western blot? what if my western blot is postive and my elisa is negative? what if the western blot is intermediate and the elisa is negative? these questions can you answer , im very concerned about the western blot test. i never had this one. is this going to be positve? thanks jon

Hello jon,

I disagree with the advice you received from your doctor.

The standard HIV diagnostic screening test consists of an enzyme-linked immunoassay (EIA/ELISA) or rapid HIV test followed by a confirmatory Western Blot (WB) test if and only if the screening EIA is "repeatedly reactive" (positive). WB detects antibodies to HIV-1 proteins, including core proteins (p17, p24, p55), polymerase proteins (p31, p51, p66) and envelope proteins (g4p1, g1p20, g1p60). WB testing should always be coupled with EIA screening, due to a 2% rate of false positives.

Most likely your WB will be negative. However, if your WB is positive and ELISA, negative, I'd recommend sorting out the discrepancy with a qualitative HIV DNA PCR.

off meds for 4 years , still undetecable w/ 1300 t cells
Why are guidlines different