3 month v 6 months that is the question?

Hi Dr Bob, Sorry to resurect this qwnd. im a bit suspicious ive had false results. I had a sexual encounter followed by all the text book symptoms. Tested a ridiculous amount of times including a pcr at 12 weeks and a 14 week 3rd generation elisa, uk'finest. However, now 6 months down the road , i still have swollen armpit nodes everyday(come and go)and when I slept with my wife she had flue like symptoms, no cold but aches and temperature

Would you say this warrants a 6 month test. Im not aware of any previous underlying conditions

By the way, your answer to possible criminal infection was nothing less than genius!

many thanks in anticipation

Hey UK-Guy,

Yep, it's a QTND (question that never dies) and that means it has an ATNC (answer that never changes)!

Your "ridiculous amount" of HIV tests, all of which have been negative, plus your undetectable "PCR" at 12 weeks and negative third generation ELISA at 14 weeks are definitive, conclusive and WOO-HOO-able. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV tests are unwarranted.

Your symptoms (and your wife's symptoms) are not suggestive of HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS). (The swollen lymph nodes associated with HIV do not "come and go.")

If my reassurance is not enough for you to shake your unwarranted worries, get the six-month test. The results will undoubtedly be negative. You can then write back to me and I can say "See, I told you so." However, because I'm such a nice guy, I won't say it even if I'm thinking it. Rather, I'll just say "WOO-HOO". OK?

Glad you liked the "criminal infection" post. I'll reprint it below, because if I don't, folks will read this and write in asking me to find it for the them in the archives. (Really! This happens all the time!)

Be well. Happy Holidays.

possible criminal transmission risk Dec 14, 2009

I just had another panic attack over a terrifying situation.

I am a college student and I found a flash drive left on the library PC. I took it because I needed it I am afraid that someone laced it with HIV tainted fluid and then relied on the sharp handle used to open it would cut the person. I did not see visible fluids on it and it must've been at least 30 minutes to an hour since the person left it. I did not suffer any cuts on my fingers when I was trying to open it but I had old scratch marks on my fingers which were at least a day old. They were very superficial scratch marks which were NOT OPEN WOUNDS. Also the handle that you have to slide to open is rough and it hurts your fingers. That is what I am afraid of.

I am totally losing my mind and losing all self control.

There was ABSOLUTELY NO BLOOD OR FLUIDS WHATSOEVER. I DID NOT FEEL ANY WETNESS AT ALL. I did not see any stains either. What scares me is that this dude looks like a sinister sociopath with a low IQ. I fear him. I am afriad that he tainted the flash drive and then managed to remove most of the fluid but leaving enough for adequate transfer OR he somehow managed to taint it in a way that DID NOT FEEL WET.

Is this possible?

"Possible criminal transmission"??? Correct me if I'm wrong but you're the one that stole the flash drive. Wouldn't that make you the criminal?

Your fears are completely unwarranted. The HIV risk via stolen flash drive is nonexistent.

You state: "What scares me is that this dude looks like a sinister sociopath with a low IQ." Dude? What dude??? And how does one determine IQ and sociopath status via visual inspection??

You also state: "I am totally losing my mind and losing all self control." I absolutely agree! I'd suggest you contact the student health service or your private doctor to get psychological help for your totally irrational and completely unwarranted fears. Anti-anxiety medication and counseling (psychotherapy) may well be helpful.

Finally, return the flash drive and stop stealing stuff!

symptoms never go away...
Need for 3rd Testing, Need some advise