Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

qualitative HIV PCR DNA test result
Dec 19, 2009

hello Dr, Thanks for the reply on my Positive ELISA, negative Western Blot and 29 weeks Pregnant question. My PCR test came negative. Is that means i dont have HIV ? Do i need to testing again in 6 weeks,3 months or 6 months ? Also, Please give me details how to make donation.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Nope! You've had essentially two negative HIV-screening tests (reactive preliminary ELISA with negative confirmatory Western Blot). You've had no HIV-exposure risks (french kissing ex-boyfriends is not a risk!). Consequently, I do not feel additional HIV-antibody testing is warranted. (Additional tests will, most likely, yield the same results of a reactive ELSIA with a negative Western Blot.) If your obstetrician/gynecologist remains at all concerned, he should order an HIV test that does not rely on anti-HIV antibodies. I would suggest a qualitative HIV PCR DNA test.

Be well. Happy Holidays.

Dr. Bob

Positive ELISA, negative Western Blot and 29 weeks Pregnant Dec 11, 2009

I am a 37 year old female,Im 29 weeks pregnant with my second child. My both the pregnancy was through IVF. I been married for 12 years. At a routine Pre-natal visit during my first trimester in JULY 09 blood test my HIV came negative . Again I went for my routine 3rd trimester blood test on NOV 22nd 09. My doctor told me I tested positive for HIV but NEGATIVE in the Western Blot. Doctor wanted me to tested again and result were the same positive HIV and NEGATIVE Western Blot. I dont know what is wrong ? Am I HIV Positive ? I havent had unprotected sex or injected any drugs only thing I can think of is in June09 my ex- boyfriend was in town and we had French kiss no sex. Im very ashamed about my doing . Do you think I got infected during the Kiss. I dont know whats going on ? Please help !

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

A positive ELISA HIV-antibody test followed by a negative confirmatory Western Blot test is considered a negative HIV-screening test. You've now had essentially two negative HIV-screening tests. Your positive ELISA is most likely due to nonspecific cross-reacting antibodies induced by your pregnancy. Review the information in the chapter on pregnancy in the archives of this forum for additional information. If your doctor remains concerned, he could check a qualitative HIV PCR DNA test, as this test does not rely on anti-HIV antibodies, but rather assays for a piece of the virus's genetic material.

French kissing ex-boyfriends is not a risk for HIV transmission!

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
RN in need of help, please answer I've been trying for weeks..
Next
Non-Disclosure illegal or not

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.