Foolish Mistake

Dr Frascino

This is a great site and resource- thank you for your time. On Nov 11, I had unprotected vaginal intercourse with a woman of unknown HIV/STD status. Foolish mistake (I was intoxicated) and it won't happen again. I tested at 7 days post exposure for STDs and HIV antibody- all negative. At 14 days I tested for PCR DNA HIV, NAAT Pool RNA HIV, HIV antibody as well as other STD'- again all negative. At 28 days I tested for PCR DNA HIV and antibody- again negative. Just passed day 35 and did a rapid HIV test (finger prick)- negative. I know you're probably thinking I'm a little too anxious but I guess I figured it was a risky encounter and I'd rather know the facts then have to wait it out. Here's my question- clinically do you still recommend testing at 6, 8 and 12 weeks or is this more of a psychological decision to give me piece of mind. I'm going to test anyway but I'm looking for encouragment here. Please give me your medical advice. I will definitely donate to your foundation- Happy Holidays!!

Do I "still recommend testing at 6, 8 and 12 weeks . . ." for a "foolish mistake?" WHAT??? A quick perusal of the gazillions of posts in the archives of this forum will quickly and unequivocally reveal I have never recommended that testing schedule! For a "foolish mistake" of the type you report, my consistent recommendation has always been a single HIV-antibody test (rapid test, EIA or ELISA) at the three-month mark!

Your multiple (and excessive) tests to date are extremely encouraging. The odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this booze-soaked walk on the wild side. My advice remains the same as ever: a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark is all you need.

Thanks for your desire to make a tax-deductible donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck/good-health karma that your definitive HIV test remains negative. I'm confident it will and that you'll soon be WOO-HOO-ing like a banshee in heat!

Be well. Happy Holidays.

infections
PLEASE, Please Help!! Jock Itch/HIV/repeat exposures related questions