Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What is the relationship between allergies and HIV? Please answer doctor....
Dec 16, 2009

Hello Dr. Frascino,

You are the man!Seriously. You are so badass and so cool. I find your humor and outlook on life so refreshing and inspirational. You are the best.

Here is my question....

I find VERY conflicting information on this site regarding allergies and HIV status. Some experts say that there is NO LINK between HIV and ALLERGIES. Others say that people with HIV are more prone to allergies.

What is the truth Dr. Frascino?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey there,

You think I'm "so badass and so cool"??? Hmm. I'll bet you say that to all the cyber-experts now, don't 'cha?

The link between "allergies" and HIV status isn't all that straightforward, because "allergies" is a broad term and HIV disease runs the spectrum from asymptomatic with reasonably intact immune integrity to severely symptomatic with a profoundly deficient immune system.

"Allergy" is an abnormal reaction of the immune system that occurs in response to otherwise harmless substances, such as grass, pollen, dust or cat dander. Most folks are not bothered by these substances, but if someone is allergic to them, their immune system kicks in and can cause all sorts of trouble, from hives to asthma to anaphylaxis.

HIVers do have a higher chance of having "allergic" reactions to some things, such as an antibiotic called Bactrim. Since the immune system is attacked by HIV, it can affect how it functions. This may result in some abnormal responses. However, in general, a bit of animal dander- or ragweed pollen-induced sneezing is not a major issue for most of us coexisting with the virus. I hope that answers your question.

Happy Holidays.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV Risk From Oral Sex and Can RX's Increase Risk? (TRANSMISSION VIA ORAL SEX 2009)
Next
Christmas Donation for a little hellp

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.