The accuracy of OraQuick/Orasure? Cant even mini woo hoo?? (RELIABILITY OF ORAQUICK ORAL TESTS, 2009)

Hi Dr Bob, I just did a rapid OraQuick or Orasure, not sure. The doc swabbed my lower and upper gums, not sure if they swabbed my cheeks, but he swabbed it very quick (I am sure not more than 1-2min) and I am not sure if it more than 1 min and I have just brushed my teeth! I am worry that it affects the result and moreover I have seen news reported from THEBODY that ¡®Seattle Department Finds OraSure HIV Test to Be Less Accurate Than Label Claims¡. So could you tell us the current development of the oraquick/orasure accuracy? And also if my less than a minute swabbed sample is enough? BTW, I am one eyed monster from the bird poo from the sky I hope you still remember me¡my exposure is only 6 weeks(negative) from today test and do I need to do the HIV test again? (I know it is not conclusive but mine is low risk to non existent risks, do you agree?). If yes, should I use orasure or traditional blood test? Thank you so much and I hope to do another donation soon(did 3 donations already) by this year.

Reprint my last posts: SIGNS FROM HEAVEN PART II(NEW with added information) (BIRD TURDS AS HIV SIGN FROM HEAVEN, 2009) Nov 21, 2009 Hi Dr Bob, I have already made a small donation, and I hope it is helpful to the foundation. Please help me as I am really freak out AGAIN! With regard to the last exposure from my previous post as attached in this it: SIGNS FROM HEAVEN (BIRD TURDS AS HIV SIGN FROM HEAVEN, 2009) Nov 11, 2009 Hi Dr Bob, It is me again ever since my ¡exposure?1 year ago. Then I was lucky to overcome it after I seek comfort from you. I have make 2 donations before and I promise I to make another one soon. I been actively searching for answers these few days in the website and the answers to my questions can be easily found on the many QTND that you have replied. However, I become scared after I have seen ¡®signs?from ¡Heaven? and in need for someone to talk to urgently. Let me begin my story¡Last week, I went to a bar to celebrate my friend last bachelor¡s night. And I got myself few bar girls too. The girls began to lick and suck my nipples (one at each sides) and rub my penis with pants on, but however their hands did try to get into my pant and maybe touch my penis for few seconds! Also one of the girls accidentally scratches me with her shoes or fingernails!!! I shouted and she tries to touch my wound with her hand. These questions are nothing compare to other more ¡®serious?questions that you seen before but to me is it already a big issue (I suspect my OCD is back!) I try to control myself and not to post any message, but last straw came when I got a message from ¡®heaven?immediately the next day after the night out¡I got hit by a bird dropping and got a another dropping on my clothes that I left outside the house after washing on the SAME day!!!! I consider these bad omens and therefore am seeking help from my Angel which is you. Please help me with my summarized questions: 1) Is nipple a mucous membrane that saliva or infected blood can enter in? There is no visible cut on my nipples however, the girl did their jobs and suck really hard 2) If I got a minor scratch from the infected person and an infected person with some fluids, semen, and discharges on their hands touches me, will that be a problem? 3) If I got a pimple on my cheek - no pus but just little inflammation but I can notice a little sticky secretions around the pimple, maybe because I press on it! And if the bar girl kiss on it, will the virus got transmitted? That all! I hope these questions are stupid enough to amuse you more important you can choose to answer them. Last but no least, Thanks you and Wish you stayed happy and healthy forever! Best Regards, One Eye Monster Continue with my question today: I also remember that on that day, a bar girl, let¡s say bar girl ¡®A? ride on me on the couch while I was already been scratched on the side of my knee (as explained in previous post a small cut (I can¡t confirm if it is bleeding, didn¡t check, but scab did form after 1 or 2 days) of around 1 cm by 0.4cm made of 3 circular wound) by another bar girl (let¡s say is bar girl ¡®B?, after she ¡®dismount?from me, I notice a small cut on her knee or thigh with some visible blood but I am not sure whether is it fresh or already dried blood. I am worried that if it is a fresh cut with fresh blood, it might have touched my wound (scratched by another bar girl on my knee which may contain little blood since I didn¡t check). I am really very scared and I have no appetite for these few days while on a vacation! Here, I like to ask a few questions: 1) As I was wearing Bermudas on that day, my knee and my legs have chances to get expose to the blood from the cut of the bar girl (the cut was most likely due to accidentally cut from the sharp edges of the coffee table in the room on the same day since I can see some blood, and there might be more than one cut wound since she said she was being cut many times that day from the sharp edges). So can infected blood pass through ¡INTACT?skin? 2) I understand HIV can stay in the blood for very long so it is possible for HIV to transmit in this way whether the blood is ¡®wet?or ¡®dry?already? 3) The cut on her could be fresh and mean there is fresh blood(but maybe only very little) but while she was ¡®riding?on me, the twist and turn action could cause her wound area to touch my wound(on my knee, may contain blood too!!) too. And by the time when I saw it, the blood on her cut might already been dried! So in this mode of transmission, can I get infected? I got some sore throat and running nose after 1 week and make me frightened since it still persisted. Moreover, I discovered a single red rash on side of my penis that freaked me out even more although there is not oral sex or whatever on that day. I ONLY have one sex partner, which are my wife and no one else. I saw a doc about it and he told me it is probably not STD but I am still worry as I had a single exposure while being masturbated by a massage girl in the past and she touched the tip of my penis. Please help me angel! Will I be infected??? Best Regards, One Eye Monster

Both the OraQuick and OraSure tests are made by OraSure Technologies. I've discussed the accuracy of these rapid tests multiple times in this forum. I haven't anything new to add. (See below.) I see absolutely no reason, from the information your provided, for you to doubt the validity of your test result. Other than the fact you took it prior to the three-month mark. For a definitive and conclusive result, you'll need to retest at three months. I have no doubt the results will confirm your negative HIV status.

Thanks for your ongoing support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return, I am sending additional good-luck karma that your definitive HIV-antibody test remains negative.

Be well. Healthy Happy Holidays.

Donation Sent; Question Regarding Oraquick (RELIABILITY OF ORAQUICK ORAL TESTS, 2009) Aug 3, 2009

Hi Dr. Bob....

I sent a donation (cheque) 3 weeks ago via mail but I dont believe that the money has been withdrawn yet. I am in Canada, so maybe it'll take a little longer.

I wanted to ask for follow-up information regarding the issue with the rapid tests produced by Oraquick, as I have seen articles posted on this site (which I believe you have commented on in this forum) stating that rapid tests were less reliable and sometimes resulted in false negative results. The article I read pertained specifically to saliva tests, but seemed to conclude that rapid tests were generally less accurate.

I had one unsafe sexual experience well over one year ago, and I took a rapid blood test for HIV screening (finger prick sample) at a sexual health clinic in Ontario 8 months after said incident. The result was negative, but after reading the article, I am a little bit nervous that the result could be unreliable. Is there a significant chance of a false negative result on a rapid HIV blood test (the type in which a blood sample is taken from the patient's finger)? If so, what has been known to cause this?

Also, do blood donor clinics sreen accurately for HIV? I ask because not long after my negative result, I went to donate blood, and although the clinic would not allow me to donate (because I had travelled to the Amazon jungles recently, where there is a risk of malaria), the blood sample (also a finger prick sample) was HIV negative. I had not had any risks or exposures during the time in between my negative result at the sexual health clinic and visiting the blood donor clinic. Is this further proof that I am indeed HIV negative?

Thanks and best regards

Question: "Is there a significant chance of a false-negative result on a rapid HIV blood test . . . ?" No. These tests are very reliable. (See below.) Your negative result eight months after your "sexperience" is definitive and conclusive. There was a problem with "false positive" tests with some of the early rapid tests (primarily the oral fluid tests).

Question: ". . . do blood donor clinics screen accurately for HIV?" Yes, absolutely! Your negative result at the blood donation center corroborated what we already knew: that you are HIV negative!

Thank you for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. You'll be receiving a formal acknowledgement and letter of appreciation via snail mail in the near future.

Yell WOO-HOO and stop worrying, OK?

Be well. Stay well. (Yes indeed you are "well!")

Thanks(Breaking news (FALSE POSITIVE ORAQUICK TESTS) Mar 8, 2009

thanks for your info. I would love to know, we you think after you read about it. The news was posting on your site and came from some confrence that just took place. again thank you so much for all u do

Breaking News? (RELIABILITY OF ORAQUICK ORAL TESTS) Feb 28, 2009

Good Morning, Could you please explian to me the Breaking News the HIV- instant test are not relieable? Not sure I understand themeaning of the doctors paper. I am a monthly donor and am so very gratful for your website

I'm presently "on the road again" and consequently may have missed the "breaking news" you are referring to. Here is what I can tell you about the recent concerns related to rapid tests (although it hardly qualifies as "breaking news"). There have been scattered reports of higher than expected false-positive tests in certain areas: Seattle, NYC, Boston, etc., when using the oral fluid OraQuick Advance Rapid HIV-1/2 Antibody Test. As with all rapid tests results, these tests results are only considered "preliminarily positive" and require a more sensitive test, such as the Western Blot. Any false-positive rapid test results would be caught by this confirmatory test. Although we still don't know why there was an uptick in preliminary false-positive oral fluid OraQuick rapid test results. However, OraSure Technologies, the maker of the oral test, has gathered data nationwide, which is reassuring regarding the accuracy of the test. It does appear that the specificity of OraQuick rapid tests performed on oral fluid specimens is lower than that of OraQuick rapid tests performed on whole-blood specimens (finger prick). The overall performance of both tests continues to meet Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requirements. Overall, oral fluid rapid tests have performed well and make HIV testing possible in many venues where performing a blood draw or finger stick is impractical or impossible. The CDC is continuing to work with the FDA and the manufacturer (OraSure Technologies) to further investigate the causes and extent of increases in false-positive oral fluid tests and monitor the performance of oral fluid and other rapid tests to ensure that they continue to perform as expected in testing programs. In addition the CDC is investigating other combination-test strategies to minimize false-positive preliminary test results. I'll repost below some information from the archives that discusses this problem. As for newer information or breaking news, I'm heading back home in a few days and will report back at that time, OK?

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Be well.

Oraquick Mindwhack Dec 11, 2008

Hey Doc...I wrote you a couple of years ago...High Risk Guy was my handle. Your insight and encouragement helped me through a tough time. I have kept up with you and this forum...congratulations on getting married and heave-hoing (?) the Bush disaster. My question: I heard and read (here and elsewhere) that there were some questions about the accuracy of the Oraquick oral rapid advance test (gum swab version) due to some bullshite up in Seattle. Can you update me/us on the status of that test? Is it still reliable? Can I still feel good about my test from May 2006 (which I had eight months after possible exposure)? I have been moving forward in a well-lived life, but would like to get this pesky mindwhack out of the way. Thanks.

Welcome back to the forum! Thanks for the congratulations. As for Dubya, January 20th can't get here soon enough!

Can you believe your negative OraQuick Advance test? Yes, I believe you can. The FDA is investigating the accuracy of the test, but the questions centers on the rate of false positives rather than the rate of false negatives.

An assessment of OraQuick Advance was performed between February and October 2007, which included 849 adults who visited the emergency department at Boston's Brigham and Women's Hospital. Of the 849 adults consenting to rapid HIV tests, 39 were found to be reactive (positive). Of those 39 with positive results, 31 agreed to confirmatory testing. Just five have positive confirmatory tests! This rate of false positives is considerably higher than what is suggested by the test's manufacturer. Some researchers recommend the "addition of HIV RNA testing to the confirmatory algorithm for rapid HIV screening tests in the United States."

You can read about the Seattle situation in the archives, as I've discussed it several times.

The bottom line for you is that your negative test should be considered a true negative. If your "pesky mindwhack" persists despite my reassurances, you could get an ELISA. The results will undoubtedly be negative.

Your WOO-HOO is secure, OK?

Be well. (You are indeed well.)

Ding Dong Injury- Can people trust the rapid hiv tests? (Seattle Department Finds OraSure HIV Test to Be Less Accurate Than Label Claims) Sep 10, 2008

DR

Greetings and well wishes!! I hope your having a fabulous evening!! First let me tell you that you give hope to the hopeless. Thats power!! Here is my story. I tested negative at 96 days with the finger prick test. I then went back and tested negative with the oral test at 100 days & 115 days past exposure. Can I woohoo?? My risk was a bruised penis (black and blue)from a rough bj. I ask this because of the article from the seattle dept of heath which says rapid test arent accurate. Please give your thoughts? My Dr said I didnt even need testing but I have OCD?

Actually, it was indeed a fabulous evening! I spent it having dinner with two of my favorite people: Broadway legend Stephen Sondheim and New York Times op-ed columnist Frank Rich!

Regarding your ding-dong problem, the blowjob actually bruised Mr. Happy? Yikes! That's some powerful sucking action. However, please note, despite the unsightliness of a black-and-blue tallywhacker, bruises do not affect the integrity of the skin. In essence, your skin, although bruised, remained intact. Therefore, if the blowjob was latex protected, there would be essentially no HIV risk. If it were unprotected, the risk remains the same as a less forceful unprotected oral sexperience, i.e. very low. Your negative finger-prick rapid test at 96 days plus your two negative "oral tests" at 100 and 115 days are definitive and conclusive. You are Dr. Bob-certified WOO-HOOable!

We are monitoring the OraQuick story closely. The CDC has not altered its recommendations of the test. I'll reprint below some information from the archives that addresses this issue. However, please note the chance that your three tests were all false-negatives is essentially nonexistent. Stop worrying and start WOO-HOOing! OK?

Seattle Department Finds OraSure HIV Test to Be Less Accurate Than Label Claims

September 5, 2008

A report by Public Health -- Seattle and King County in Washington state has found that testing with OraSure Technologies' OraQuick test provides less accurate results than the label claims, Bloomberg reports. The OraQuick test is the only rapid test licensed to screen both oral fluids and blood for HIV, according to Bloomberg. Bob Wood, director of the HIV/AIDS control program at the Seattle-based department, said that in 5,460 tests, OraQuick failed to detect at least 8% of 133 people found to be HIV-positive with a comparable diagnostic. This compared with the 0.7% rate given on the test's label.

Elliot Cowan, chief of FDA's Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research Office of Blood Research and Review, said the agency has asked OraSure to investigate the issue. "We're keeping an ear to the phone and making sure they're doing what they're supposed to do," Cowan said, adding, "The ultimate goal is that the package insert appropriately represents the performance of the test." According to Bloomberg, CDC, which recommends testing with blood over oral fluids, also has contacted Seattle officials. Nonetheless, the agency sent a letter to physicians on Aug. 20, voicing support for oral fluid HIV testing and stating that the test has performed well "overall" and is important for increasing the number of people tested for HIV. Richard Wolitski, acting director of CDC's Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention, said, "At this time, based on all the available data, we're not changing our recommendations regarding oral fluid rapid testing."

OraSure Chief Science Officer Stephen Lee said the company tracks the performance of its test and routinely investigates complaints. Lee also said OraSure keeps FDA informed of all the product information it gathers. "All the data that we've accumulated indicates the product continues to perform according to its FDA-approved claims," Lee said.

Wood said that the department has sent its data to physicians and clinics in the area along with a recommendation to test blood rather than oral fluids when possible. "Our recommendation is that people shouldn't use rapid oral tests if they can avoid it, but there are some situations where it can't be avoided and it's better than nothing," Wood said.

According to Wood, Seattle in 2003 began back-up testing of samples screened with OraQuick. A laboratory test, called EIA, showed that OraQuick missed 10 out of 133 patients with HIV antibodies in their blood. Lee said that studies have shown rapid tests to be less sensitive than lab antibody tests, adding that other rapid tests have produced similar results. Seattle officials also tested the samples with a more accurate test that looks for HIV's genetic material. The test can detect more HIV cases because the virus appears in blood before antibodies, according to Bloomberg. When compared with the RNA test, OraQuick missed 17% of cases, according to Wood, who added that the results might be published in a journal in the future (Lauerman, Bloomberg, 9/3).

I was back home in the San Francisco Bay Area only very briefly. I'm now at 38,000 feet again, winging my way back across the country and not really looking forward to the winter storms that await me. I do think I now know what you were referring to. It was a presentation at the recent CROI (Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections) that took place in Montreal last month. Not surprisingly I was there too! The presentation was given by a fellow San Franciscan, Shelly Facente, the coordinator for evaluation and quality assurance for the HIV Counseling, Testing, and Linkage programs in the San Francisco Department of Health. She was evaluating reports of unusually high false-positive rates for the OraQuick rapid test. She looked at results for 21,000 OraQuick Advance Rapid HIV-1/2 Antibody tests taken between 2005 and 2007 that had a negative result or preliminarily positive result that was proven to be a false-positive following confirmation with a Western Blot (WB) or immunofluorescence assay (IFA). The specificity of the test, according to the manufacturer (OraSure Technologies) is 99.8%. (That means 2 out of 1,000 folks tested would be expected to have false-positive results.) Shelley's study looked at the expiration dates for the test kits (the shelf life is six months) and compared it to when the test was performed. In other words, how close to the expiration date the test was done. What she found was that if she looked at tests performed within one month of the expiration date, the false-positive rate was 98.83%, far lower than the manufacturer's number. In fact she noticed that the closer the expiration date, the more likely it was to get a false-positive test result! This may well explain those clusters of high false-positive test results seen around the country over the past few years. Excellent detective work on Shelley's part, eh?

So what happens next? Well, the FDA recently announced approval for an enhanced version of the OraQuick test that has a much longer shelf life (12 months). Plus there has apparently been some additional quality control measures and changes to the manufacturing process that should improve consistency and stability. These new test kits should hit the shelves this month. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

SIGNS FROM HEAVEN PART II(NEW with added information) (BIRD TURDS AS HIV SIGN FROM HEAVEN, 2009) Nov 21, 2009 Hi Dr Bob,

I have already made a small donation, and I hope it is helpful to the foundation. Please help me as I am really freak out AGAIN! With regard to the last exposure from my previous post as attached in this it:

SIGNS FROM HEAVEN (BIRD TURDS AS HIV SIGN FROM HEAVEN, 2009) Nov 11, 2009

Hi Dr Bob,

It is me again ever since my ¡exposure?1 year ago. Then I was lucky to overcome it after I seek comfort from you. I have make 2 donations before and I promise I to make another one soon. I been actively searching for answers these few days in the website and the answers to my questions can be easily found on the many QTND that you have replied. However, I become scared after I have seen ¡®signs?from ¡Heaven? and in need for someone to talk to urgently. Let me begin my story¡Last week, I went to a bar to celebrate my friend last bachelor¡s night. And I got myself few bar girls too. The girls began to lick and suck my nipples (one at each sides) and rub my penis with pants on, but however their hands did try to get into my pant and maybe touch my penis for few seconds! Also one of the girls accidentally scratches me with her shoes or fingernails!!! I shouted and she tries to touch my wound with her hand. These questions are nothing compare to other more ¡®serious?questions that you seen before but to me is it already a big issue (I suspect my OCD is back!) I try to control myself and not to post any message, but last straw came when I got a message from ¡®heaven?immediately the next day after the night out¡I got hit by a bird dropping and got a another dropping on my clothes that I left outside the house after washing on the SAME day!!!! I consider these bad omens and therefore am seeking help from my Angel which is you. Please help me with my summarized questions: 1) Is nipple a mucous membrane that saliva or infected blood can enter in? There is no visible cut on my nipples however, the girl did their jobs and suck really hard 2) If I got a minor scratch from the infected person and an infected person with some fluids, semen, and discharges on their hands touches me, will that be a problem? 3) If I got a pimple on my cheek - no pus but just little inflammation but I can notice a little sticky secretions around the pimple, maybe because I press on it! And if the bar girl kiss on it, will the virus got transmitted? That all! I hope these questions are stupid enough to amuse you more important you can choose to answer them. Last but no least, Thanks you and Wish you stayed happy and healthy forever! Best Regards, One Eye Monster Continue with my question today: I also remember that on that day, a bar girl, let¡s say bar girl ¡®A¡, ride on me on the couch while I was already been scratched on the side of my knee (as explained in previous post a small cut (I can¡t confirm if it is bleeding, didn¡t check, but scab did form after 1 or 2 days) of around 1 cm by 0.4cm made of 3 circular wound) by another bar girl (let¡s say is bar girl ¡®B¡), after she ¡®dismount¡ from me, I notice a small cut on her knee or thigh with some visible blood but I am not sure whether is it fresh or already dried blood. I am worried that if it is a fresh cut with fresh blood, it might have touched my wound (scratched by another bar girl on my knee which may contain little blood since I didn¡t check). I am really very scared and I have no appetite for these few days while on a vacation! Here, I like to ask a few questions: 1) As I was wearing Bermudas on that day, my knee and my legs have chances to get expose to the blood from the cut of the bar girl (the cut was most likely due to accidentally cut from the sharp edges of the coffee table in the room on the same day since I can see some blood, and there might be more than one cut wound since she said she was being cut many times that day from the sharp edges). So can infected blood pass through ¡INTACT¡ skin? 2) I understand HIV can stay in the blood for very long so it is possible for HIV to transmit in this way whether the blood is ¡®wet¡ or ¡®dry¡ already? 3) The cut on her could be fresh and mean there is fresh blood(but maybe only very little) but while she was ¡®riding¡ on me, the twist and turn action could cause her wound area to touch my wound(on my knee, may contain blood too!!) too. And by the time when I saw it, the blood on her cut might already been dried! So in this mode of transmission, can I get infected? I got some sore throat and running nose after 1 week and make me frightened since it still persisted. Moreover, I discovered a single red rash on side of my penis that freaked me out even more although there is not oral sex or whatever on that day. I ONLY have one sex partner, which are my wife and no one else. I saw a doc about it and he told me it is probably not STD but I am still worry as I had a single exposure while being masturbated by a massage girl in the past and she touched the tip of my penis. Please help me angel! Will I be infected???

Best Regards, One Eye Monster

Hello One Eye Monster,

Once again, your problem is OCD, not HIV.

Responding to your specific questions:

No.

Dry blood would not transmit HIV.

No.

My advice is simple:

Level with your wife if you have not already done so. It's not only the best way to confront your guilt; it's also the right thing to do.

Get treatment for your OCD. Counseling (psychiatric or psychological) and anti-anxiety medications can be very helpful.

Although there is no medical indication for HIV testing, if my reassurance is not sufficient for you to shake your (unwarranted) worries, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The results will undoubtedly be negative, but if it helps to put your irrational fears permanently to rest, it may be worth the effort psychologically.

I'll reprint your original question below.

Hi Dr Bob,

It is me again ever since my ¡exposure¡ 1 year ago. Then I was lucky to overcome it after I seek comfort from you. I have make 2 donations before and I promise I to make another one soon. I been actively searching for answers these few days in the website and the answers to my questions can be easily found on the many QTND that you have replied. However, I become scared after I have seen ¡®signs¡ from ¡Heaven¡, and in need for someone to talk to urgently. Let me begin my story¡Last week, I went to a bar to celebrate my friend last bachelor¡s night. And I got myself few bar girls too. The girls began to lick and suck my nipples (one at each sides) and rub my penis with pants on, but however their hands did try to get into my pant and maybe touch my penis for few seconds! Also one of the girls accidentally scratches me with her shoes or fingernails!!! I shouted and she tries to touch my wound with her hand. These questions are nothing compare to other more ¡®serious¡ questions that you seen before but to me is it already a big issue (I suspect my OCD is back!) I try to control myself and not to post any message, but last straw came when I got a message from ¡®heaven¡ immediately the next day after the night out¡I got hit by a bird dropping and got a another dropping on my clothes that I left outside the house after washing on the SAME day!!!! I consider these bad omens and therefore am seeking help from my Angel which is you. Please help me with my summarized questions:

1) Is nipple a mucous membrane that saliva or infected blood can enter in? There is no visible cut on my nipples however, the girl did their jobs and suck really hard 2) If I got a minor scratch from the infected person and an infected person with some fluids, semen, and discharges on their hands touches me, will that be a problem? 3) If I got a pimple on my cheek - no pus but just little inflammation but I can notice a little sticky secretions around the pimple, maybe because I press on it! And if the bar girl kiss on it, will the virus got transmitted?

That all! I hope these questions are stupid enough to amuse you more important you can choose to answer them. Last but no least, Thanks you and Wish you stayed happy and healthy forever!

Best Regards, One Eye Monster

Hello One Eye Monster,

So let me get this straight. You believe you are getting signs from heaven about your possibly being HIV infected, because a bird pooped on your head??? And also a bird pooped on your washed laundry, which was hanging outside. WOWZA. Dude, just how much crazy powder have you been adding to your protein shakes? The higher powers don't send messages with bird poop. They hit you with lightening bolts or meteors. Gosh, everyone knows that, silly boy.

To answer your specific questions:

The nipple is not a mucous membrane.

No.

No.

You state: "I suspect my OCD is back!" I absolutely agree. Except you can leave off the "I suspect" part. I'll post below a few other posts from wacky worried-wells who thought they were getting signs from heaven as well.

C'mon Bob..No more BUSHIT!!! Mar 22, 2006

I have two situations..please help.

1) Oral sex with male (I am female) in June of last year. Last 1 minute, ejaculation, swallowed immediately no oral health problems. Have neven gotten the flu or anything close to it, however 7 weeks later, I got a mild cold (sore throat, congestion, runny nose) for 5 days...was also working at a youth summer camp at the time and 3-4 other people got sick either before or after me. I have lost 20 pounds since december, but was on the south beach diet.

2) Unprotected vaginal sex with a male friend 2x unprotected almost 3 weeks ago. He is actually seperated, this was his first time with another women in 10 years. Wife has never cheated as well. He has never had any symptoms or health problems. Very honest and open, says he is clean. Again, I have no symptoms.

A) Do I need to worry? I am obsessed with this disease and always think God is giving me signs with commericals and ads about it.

Is the fact that I have had no symptoms at all a good sign?

C) If oral sex was a high risk way of getting the disease, wouldn't a lot more people have it (case in point..spring breakers?)

# *You have no idea how much this worries me. I KNOW and can FEEL that I am ok, but it still haunts me. I just want a normal life with my boyfriend and to have a sucessful career in the job I love. Please help me get over this once and for all,

You think God is giving you signs with "commericals" and ads??? Talk about "BUSHIT!" By the way, what's a commerical? And don't you think God just might be just a bit busy with a few more important matters than sending you subliminal messages via Preparation H commercials??? For instance, doesn't he have to commune daily with Dubya to advise him which wrong country to invade next or with Cheney about who he should shoot in the face next?

Bottom line: oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV transmission. Unprotected vaginal sex does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. If you've placed yourself at risk, get tested. For HIV, you'll have to wait until the three-month mark, as tests taken prior to that are not considered definitive. If you "just want a normal life" without all the worry, use condoms. It really is just that simple.

hiv 2 research Jun 13, 2006

i am worried this guy i shared bleached needles with who was hiv+ was secretly hiv2+ and didn't specify. i have been hiv1 neg 23 times, and it has been three years since i was on drugs.now that i've done hiv1 to death, i'm onto hiv2.i have researched some more. this guy i was with got tested monthly; viral load and t-cells.but one website said they can't test viral load in hiv2, and another said they could. do you know if these signs point to him having hiv2 or hiv1? i can't remember the medications he was on,they all sound the same.i might actually kill myself if i can't let this go, it's been hiv hell for 3 years,but whenever i get tested i also get suicidal and at least hurt myself. he was infected in 1990, around when there were 10 confirmed cases in his state.i have no idea if he hung around with people from west africa or not, but he worked on a fishing boat, which could be a bad omen.i keep seeing liscense plates that have a P and a T(God saying, "positive... two")please help me doctor, as you help SO many others.thank YOU for doing great work for all of us.

You think God is speaking to you in coded license plates??? Gosh, have you seen any with an L and a T lately??? That could stand for Loony Tunes!

Dude, 23 HIV tests??? Which part of HIV negative didn't you understand the first 22 times???

I would say your risk of HIV-2 is nonexistent. You bleached your works! Plus, HIV-2 remains extremely rare. However, since you are indeed being driven 'round the bend by your completely irrational fears, why not just get a rapid test? You'll have definitive proof that neither HIV-1 nor HIV-2 is your problem within 20 minutes. There are at least two FDA-approved rapid tests that screen for HIV-2: OraQuick HIV-1/HIV-2 (made by OraSure Technologies) and Multispot HIV-1/HIV-2 (made by Bio-Rad Labs).

Since these tests give results within 20 minutes, hopefully you won't have time to jump off a bridge or drink a gallon of arsenic.

Finally, I do believe you should consider psychiatric help, even if your HIV-2 test is negative (as I strongly suspect it will be). Your problems appear to go far deeper than irrational HIV fears.

Good luck!

pls answer am in cameroon. started pep already
HIV Risk From Oral Sex and Can RX's Increase Risk? (TRANSMISSION VIA ORAL SEX 2009)