Positive I'm Positive From Swallowing

Hello Dr Bob,

I went down on a guy from Craiglist(gasp!!)and swallowed his rather underwhelming load Halloween eve

A week or 2 later I obtained a sore throat that lasts to this day(Dec 10)

Secondly, there were 2 days that I had abnormal fatigue within the window period where all I could do is sit on the coach

Both instances, the fatigue, and having such a long lasting sore throat are firsts in my life...ie they never occur

These seem to fit ARS guildelines to a T in terms of the timing they occured and the duration

I really think the given estimates of risk of transmission through Oral sex are really off(ie vastly underestimated)

The reason I say that is most people have both anal sex and oral sex so the mode of transmission is masked...and I feel that most always chalk it up to the anal

I figured it was worth taking the risk given the risk of transmission numbers I have heard...but I think those numbers are pretty far off(ie, I feel they are GREATLY underestimated)

Anyhow, I take full responsibility...so I guess my question would be:

Should I get a rapid test up at the clinic up the street(exposure was Oct 30)

And secondly, if you could comment on my comments RE risk of transmission, I would love to hear your insights

Thank you for your time

-NoWooHoo4me

Hello NoWooHoo4me,

The Halloween one-eyed monster you gobbled down had an "underwhelming load"??? Hmm. Well, I guess since this was a Craig's List Halloween cyber hookup, you got more "trick" (from your trick) than treat!

Your symptoms are not worrisome for HIV ARS.

The risk of HIV transmission has been intensely studied for over a quarter of a century. That oral sex carries only a slight risk for HIV transmission (barring extenuating circumstances) has been scientifically established. Remember, the research can not only monitor who gets infected, but also who does not! In other words, there have been observational cohorts of magnetic couples, who have only unprotected oral sex, and their rates of HIV seroconversion have been monitored. Your fears that the HIV risk from oral sex is underestimated are unwarranted and not supported by over 25 years of scientific research.

I'll bet when you write back, Mr. NoWoohoo4me will have a new name: Mr. MEGA-WOO-HOO4ME!

Life decision
Simple Question - Please Help