Curious about risk

Hi Dr. Bob,

First off I think you do a great service to the world and I want to thank you. Here is my exposure:

Had some aggressive deep kissing, fingering, nipple biting and sucking as well as oral performed on me to completion. I do not remember seeing any blood but I cannot be sure. I called my local HIV hotline to see if I needed testing and they said no. Now its been about 4 months and I seem to be constantly fatigued, bkreaking out and sore joints in my shoulder. I am very worried and will be going for a test early next week but I have the following questions:

1. I have read that insertive oral sex is a neglible risk in that theoritically it could happen however in 25 years not proven case has occurred involving the insertive person during oral sex?

2. Would any of my other activities be considered a risk? I did not notice blood but I do tend to have bleeding gums.

3. Is ARS contagious and if someone picks up the same cold or fever that you had does that pretty much remove ARS from the equation and show that it is a more a cold?

4. Do any of my symptoms now suggest anything? I have also seen it takes years to get to more severe systems? I do not have any swollen lymph nodes that I can tell.

I am hoping for a big WoooHoo on Monday but I guess I just want to put my mind at ease.

Thank you and a donation will be coming!

1. We can't say not a single case has occurred (some have been "reported"), but actually scientifically documenting insertive oral sex HIV transmission is difficult. Without direct monitoring to assure absolutely no other types of hanky-panky occurred along with the blowjob, one cannot state with certainty a reported case of transmission via insertive oral sex is true. Certainly we can state the risk of insertive oral sex is extremely low, barring extenuating circumstances. This has been well documented in observational trials.

2. Nope!

3. ARS is hard to remove from the equation or even add to the equation because the symptoms associated with ARS are nonspecific (could be caused by many other underlying conditions). That's why "symptoms" are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected.

4. I can't really suggest a diagnosis over the Internet? Your general medical doctor should be able to evaluate these complaints.

I'm quite confident your big WOO-HOO is indeed on the way.

Thank you for your desire to make a tax-deductible donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated during this holiday season! In return I'm sending my good-luck karma that your definitive HIV test is negative.

Good luck. Be well. Happy Healthy Holidays.

possible criminal transmission risk
Life decision