Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

h1n1 Vaccine-Pep?
Dec 14, 2009

Hi Dr. Bob,

I recently had the swine flu vaccine. I asked the nurse's assistant if she was using a new needle, since I am worried about used needles being used. I was just trying to ease my mind. Well she said that she "just changed it." I hope she meant that she just used a new one, for me. I am so paranoid about this. I almost went to the ER for PEP. Do I sound crazy? I am pregnant and just so protective of my baby. Should I get tested? Also, if I was tested would I get a false result because of the vaccine? If the test is taken a couple of months after the vaccine is administered, will that negate the false result possibility? Thanks for your time and help, you are amazing. I hope you are doing well and hope you had a nice holiday.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

You wonder if you "sound crazy," because you considered going to the ER for PEP, because you're worried that the nurse assistant who gave you your H1N1 vaccine might have jabbed you with a used needle, even though you asked her if the needle was used and she told you she "just changed it"???? Yep! Absolutely looney tunes!

Should you get HIV tested? Absolutely not! There is absolutely no medical justification for even considering HIV testing. Plus, you have at least two potential reasons for registering "false positive." Both pregnancy and flu vaccines can cause nonspecific cross-reacting antibodies that can, in some instances, cause false-positive or indeterminate HIV tests.

If your fears continue, you should consider psychotherapy (counseling) to help you confront your completely unwarranted and totally irrational fears of being HIV infected.

Being protective of your baby is fine and perfectly understandable; however, being a nutty mom with anxiety and irrational fears is not healthy for you or for your bun in the oven!

Happy , healthy Holidays!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Is my partner HIV +? Is my baby & myself at risk?
Next
Oops- forgot to add my mosquitoe question!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.