Two stressful years later...

Hello, first off let me start by saying you are truly an amazing person. Reading these posts and your answers to them have helped me relax more than once since I became overly paranoid with HIV. Anyway here is the background on my situation. On my 21st birthday I came down with a high fever, sore throat and aches and pains. I was sick for roughly a week before going to the Dr. When I went I had a test for mono and it came back positive and I had mono for the next three months before I was better, I had to be put on steroids to get the glands in my neck down because they would not go down on their own. During that first week however, I noticed how some of the mono symptoms were the same or very similar to some of the symptoms of HIV. Ever since that point I have had a fear that I contracted HIV. Over the past two years my left gland in my neck has felt "tight" and my left ear has felt like there is pressure in it. I haven't gotten sick more times than what I normally have in the past but I just feel hypersensitive to everything now. Whenever I have gotten sick however both glands definitely get swollen again, which always bring back my fear. I was calming down about it but then I saw yesterday I developed a plantar wart on the bottom of my foot. I had them 6 years ago (before I even came out so I had not done anything sexual with a guy at all or girl for that matter) and had them removed by a doctor and I was under the impression that they stay gone once you get rid of them because you become immune to the virus. The fact that I know have one makes me worried there is something wrong with my immune system, like it is weak which is what allowed the wart virus to come back. I am a gay male, but I have never had unprotected sex, i have never bottomed and the number of times I have had protected anal sex I can count on one hand. I have done numerous oral activities however, and in these oral situations the men have never finished in my mouth. I know I should just get tested and end my hysteria and paranoia but I respect your opinion very much and decided to ask you what you thought about my likelihood that I may have HIV. Thank you for everything you do!

"I know I should just get tested and end my hysteria and paranoia . . . ." BINGO! I absolutely agree with you. I'm very confident you are HIV negative based on your minimal HIV-risk exposures. Your bout of mononucleosis did indeed result in the "fear" you may have acquired HIV. Actually, the only thing you acquired was the fear, not the virus!

Plantar warts, even recurrent plantar warts, are not an indication that anything is wrong with your immune system. They are extremely common.

You state you respect my opinion very much. Consequently, I suggest you go ahead and do what you already know you should do: Get tested and put your unwarranted worries permanently to rest. Your WOO-HOO awaits you!

Be well.

A classic tale from Indonesia.
I am waiting your good message