OMG! Im soooo frightened =(

Hi Dr. Bob! I am sorry to bother you, but Im losing my mind right now =( Back on 9/10 I was testing and the ELISA came back pos and WB was neg. My PCP assured me that I did not have HIV, but to be on the safe side I retest. I retested on 11/20 (13 wk mark) He called me today to tell me that the ELISA was again reactive and the the WB in 'inconclusive'...They want me to go back in 1 month to retest. Of note, I have had protected sex 2 times in the past 2 months, other than that, bo additional risk factors.

My ? is, what are the chances that the WB will turn positive the next time I go? I feel like its going in that direction: 1st neg, than 'inconslusive' and then pos?? I know there are plenty of archive quest/answers, but I just cant think straight...Also, should I see an ID specialist?

Thanks Dr. Bob. Im def going to be sending a donation your way. You are my angel =)

Worried 76

Hello Worried 76,

It is most likely you are HIV negative. If at the time of your initial positive ELISA and negative WB you were in the midst of seroconverting, you would have been definitively positive at the time of your repeat test over two months later! Most likely you have nonspecific, cross-reacting antibodies in your blood that resulted in your false-positive ELISA tests and indeterminate WB. I would recommend you get a qualitative HIV PCR DNA test. This test does not rely on antibodies, but rather assays for a piece of the virus's genetic material. I'm quite confident your result will confirm your negative HIV status.

Thank you for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return, I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive HIV tests confirm your HIV-negative status!

Be well. Good luck.

Rapid Blood Test - Results
4th time, pls help