5/10,000 Per Acquisition

Dear Dr. Frascino-

Hope you and Steve, and Presto are doing well..

I read some threads here about the statistical per acquisiton of HIV being 5/10,000 Exposures.

These figures seem promising and "in my favor."

This summer, I did something stupid, but probably am only calling it stupid because of what happened:

I met a girl in a bar when celebrating my birthday. She was an exchange student from an asian country. We were both at the bar drinking and dancing together in sensual manner, and then started making out. I sucked on her breasts in the corner, it got to be very heated.

I asked her for her number and we met up 2 days later at the same bar. She complimented me on a physical attribute and I returned it, and asked if she'd like to go to a hotel...we went and well you can guess ..I finally had sex at 23. Everyone else was having sex and I hadn't even kissed until I was 21!

So we got the room, I sucked nipples (low acquisition) .. and I performed cunnilingus on her (without dental dam or condom) I know this does carry a risk, but low statistical.

She also performed brief unprotected oral sex on me (10 seconds) My oral on her was maybe 4 minutes.

What happened next was a shocker. I couldn't get inside for some reason; I was embarassed to tell her I was a virgin, but she probably knew. I finally did , and slipped out a few times...finally I was thrusting and I didn't feel anything while thrusting; but at one point felt a tingling or something touching my penis..I felt aroused and wanted to come.

I looked down and saw no condom , I was freaking out beyond belief. I asked where it was and she was like i don't know...I looked down and it was near her vagina or bottom or on bed.

Having had sex for the first time I never thought to do a water test or anything. I did get her plan B the next morning and had her take it...not ready to have a child.

So case in point, I know the oral acquisitions were low, but I don't know if the condom slipped while i was thrusting or when my penis wnet out of her ..or if it broke.

I asked her if she had any STDS or HIV, she said no...and then the next day I offered to get her tested but she said no and she told me prior to coming to U.S, she was tested and hadn't had sex then.

This happened 2 days before Independence Day, and most clinics were closed for RNA testing for myself...but I can say this forum has informed me its not accurate.

I called my Primary Care Doctor hours before the 72 hour cut off for PEP, on the emergency response line...and asked if she would prescribe PEP. She is the partner of the DOCTOR i see, and she said it was not needed.

I also posted asking you, but no response.

Around October, I got sick (3 months), but my brother was aslo sick, maybe I picked up his germs, and I also went to a game with little clothing on.

Over the past month, I have also had a chest cold...coughing up mucous green..and blowing greenout of nose. I have chronic allergies and am allergic to dustmites and now take nasonex.

I'm also depressed heavily because my family and I have had several differences over the past year, and I am not sure what to do ... whether to chase my dream and move abroad, etc.

I am thinking maybe the depression and fighting is contributing to my general sickness and also the allergies.. are what are making me sick.

Maybe it's pneumonia..maybe I need to see a doctor...I've taken some OTC meds for now..

My question to you, (your the only one I trust) is should I get tested now for HIV, or go to my doctor and get antibiotics for the symptoms now..and when they clear ..go get tested for HIV?

I'm sorry for this long drawn out story... I feel so horrible and upset over this. And for some reason, I feel like always sexually aroused and in bars too I just seem like I want one night stands or hookups and no committments..growing up with gynecomastia and feeling weak as an ectomorph and just not feeling good enough, this is what happened.

I know, I have alot of issues, I don't know how I will solve them, but I think getting tested will help ease my fears.

So I just wanted to know if you would have prescribed PEP, when should I get tested, and is it Elisa or Eisa? Then WB.

Sincerely,

A very stupid idiot who is paranoid and hopes to never have problems again, but will struggle to learn.

Dr. Frascino- Your site is its amazing ... where do you donate anonyomously?

I'm scared out o

Let me first address your specific questions. You had a potential HIV risk, although, all things considered, I would place your risk in the very low category. PEP was not warranted; however, an HIV-antibody test at three months or longer from your night of nookie is warranted. Whether or not your see your doctor about your other concerns and whether or not you are on antibiotics will not affect the accuracy of your HIV test results. Consequently, I'd suggest you get tested now as a first step in confronting your medical and psychological issues. The odds are very much in your favor that you did not contract HIV from your first tumble between the sheets. You should get an HIV-antibody test (rapid test or ELISA with a WB only if the preliminary rapid test or ELISA is positive).

It is also evident from your post that you have a number of psychological issues that need to be addressed: "Growing up with gynecomastia and feeling weak as an ectomorph and just not feeling good enough . . ." , ". . . I'm also depressed heavily because my family and I have had several differences over the past year and I'm not sure what to do . . ." etc. Counseling (psychotherapy) is warranted to help you confront these and a number of other issues concerning self-worth, guilt, fears of HIV, etc.

Anonymous donations can be sent directly to the foundation. (The address is given below.) You can send a cashier's check, cash or personal check (with a note indicating you wish to remain anonymous). Thank you for your willingness to help others struggling to coexist with the virus. In return, I'm sending you my good-luck, good-health karma that your definitive HIV test is negative. (I'm very confident it indeed will be negative.)

The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation 1000 Fremont Ave., Suite 145 Los Altos, CA 94024

Be well.

You're doing a great job!
KUDOS!!!