Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Last hope --- PLEASE LOOK
Dec 10, 2009

Dear Dr Bob,

17 years ago (1992) I had a possible unprotected exposure to hiv with a female vaginally(a couple of times). I had terrible pharingitis, night sweats,etc shortly after that. 5 years later I was engaged to a different girl and she had a body rash, joint pains, etc. She went to an ID doc who told her she should be tested for HIV after he tested her for Lymes. We had both just done Home Access so we thought we were fine. To make a long story short we married and now have two children 7 and 10. In the ensuing years I have had many tests; 2more home access, 3 different life insurance pol's, and a Elisa blood draw from doctor.

I went to ID doc myself in 2001 because of some weird symptoms( wife had cervical dysplasia, and we both got molluscum at different times in our groin area, and my tongue has white lines down both sides) He said I was fine and that the lines on tongue were nothing to worry about. He did a hiv-1 test (negative) and said forget about HIV. I felt stupid and was very happy. I decided since I was negative that I should do something good and donate blood. ID doc said it was fine. since 2001 I have donated 11 times till this past Feb. ( I felt great! )

Now in July I got diarreah on and off for 2 months, went to see gastro guy who did tests( all ok ) including labcorp ICMA hiv 1/O/2 test (nonreactive) which I asked for. Now my hands keep going numb at night. Kids constantly have runny noses.

Please don't get angry with me for the question. Any doctor who I have asked thinks I am nuts. I have had 20 tests in the last 17 years including life ins, and Nat with blood donations, not to mention that both kids were tested when they were born along with my wife ( pregnancies and life ins ). Is all I need really a good psychiatrist. Please advise 100 dollar donation is forthcoming.

Thank you, Desperate

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Desperate,

Why would I get angry? I'm not an angry kind of guy.

Your repeatedly negative HIV tests (20 over the past 17 years) are definitive, conclusive, excessive and absolutely WOO-HOO-able. Unfortunately, despite overwhelming and irrefutable evidence that you are unequivocally HIV negative, you're still not WOO-HOO-ing and you continue to freak out when even any type of health problem arises in you, your wife or your kids. There can be no doubt your fears are totally unwarranted and completely irrational. Your problem is not HIV, but rather fear of HIV. Psychotherapy (counseling) and/or medications could indeed be quite beneficial in helping you confront and conquer these irrational worries. No additional HIV testing is warranted. HIV is not your problem, but you do indeed have a problem that warrants attention. Bring a copy of your question and my response to your first visit with your therapist and show it to him or her. It will help focus your treatment and speed your recovery.

Be well. Stay well. I wish you happy, healthy, worry-free holidays.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Anulingus+Hiv
Next
HIV 10 WEEK DUO PT2

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.