The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Testing Window

Dec 10, 2009

Tested negative 6 days before three months. Not sure whether to woohoo because a full three months had not elapsed. Your thoughts please? By the way, received your flyer with the musical theme in the mail this week. Cheque will be with you soon. Thanks - Aussie Bob

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Aussie Bob,

A negative HIV test six days shy of the three-month mark is extremely encouraging. The vast majority of HIVers will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibody in their blood four to six weeks following primary HIV infection. That said, six days early is one day shy of a whole week early, and I can't single handedly change the published guidelines' rule of three months for a definitive result. I could, however, point out that several "down under" HIV testing facilitates have concluded that a six week is definitive, using their methodology (and assuming no underlying extenuating circumstances). So, if you want an "official" WOO-HOO based on published guidelines, get a three-month HIV-antibody test. Please know the odds are astronomically in your favor that you are HIV negative.

Glad you liked our most recent foundation newsletter. Thanks for your ongoing support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. It's warmly appreciated.

Pet a koala for me, OK? As for your HIV risk, remember, I'm confident "she'll be apples."

Cheers mate.

Dr. Bob

HIV risk from mutual masturbation
Arguments in favor of abstinence (from a gay man)

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint