The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Interrupted PEP and PCR Testing

Dec 10, 2009

Dr. Frascino, I was give poor advice from my primary care physician. He prescribed Truvada (500mg)as a PEP outside the window for effectiveness (>1 week). I took 2 500mg doses over a 48 hour period then I discontinued the treatment. I took a PCR test 22 days after taking the Truvada. My results were negative. I also took an antibodies test at 5 weeks post "possible" exposure to which the results were negative. Question: Will two doses of Truvada give a false negative? Should I disregard the PCR test? Is the antibody test effected by the Truvada?

Response from Dr. Frascino


You are correct! You were indeed given poor advice by your primary care physician! If he did not apologize profusely for his error and gain back your trust and confidence, I'd recommend you find a new more competent primary care physician.

Two doses of PEP would not affect HIV PCR tests taken 22 days later or HIV-antibody tests taken five weeks later. However, please note, PCR testing is generally not recommended for routine HIV diagnostic screening, and HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered definitive or conclusive. (Could you now be getting poor advice regarding HIV testing???) If you had an HIV risk, you should get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Dr. Frascino, I'm begging you to answer my question
HIV risk from mutual masturbation

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint