Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Scared grandma in the O.C + Donation!!! :)
Dec 10, 2009

Hi handsome, well I'm a 60+ year old women and in Southern California it is raining cats and dogs. I have a question and I promise to be sending a $50 donation for all your advice. Here's my question, I was walking up some stairs while it was pouring rain, and I happened to look up and a rain drop hit the DIRTY metal pole of the staircase and splashed RIGHT IN my eye!!! Is there any risk here since the pole was completely dirty, maybe with hiv+ blood from someone. As you can probably already tell, I suffer from OCD and have been for the past 20 years. This has really affected me, and I just can't afford therapy anymore. I've been doing very well, but this incident triggered my worries again. If you can help me and give me some advice over this issue, I know it will help me and I won't be stressed out anymore. In fact I will add an additional $25 for any assistance. Money is no object when it comes to my psyche. So ultimately, can there be a risk if water splashed right off a dirty pole and IF it had HIV+ blood on the pole, then splashed right, completely in my eye? Thank you again. We love you in the O.C!!!

Love, Grandma (The REAL housewife of the O.C) Donation to follow!!!!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey "Desperate Housewife" Granny,

Thanks for the "handsome" comment. I think O.C. Grannies are hot and hip!

As for your raindrop issue, relax Gran. The HIV-acquisition risk is nonexistent! First off, I would have to wonder how HIV-infected blood got onto that pole. Next, HIV doesn't survive very long at all outside the body. Even if there was HIV-infected blood on the pole and even if the blood was fresh, there is the dilutional effect of the rain. Add to that the fact that HIV transmission via contact with the eye is extremely rare, even under "optimal" conditions, such as getting fresh HIV-tainted blood squirted directly into your eye. So if you add up all these extremely improbable "what ifs" and the very low risk for viral transmission via eye contact even under optimal conditions, you hopefully will see that your raindrop-in-the-eye scenario carries a nonexistent risk for acquiring HIV.

Thank you for your tax-deductible donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

As for raining cats and dogs in Southern California, that would be a distinct improvement over the weather I'm currently experiencing: a winter storm complete with freezing rain, gusty winds and loads of snow!

Be well Granny!

Dr. Bob

Previous
My HIV MD discriminates because of my weight
Next
SEXUAL HEALTH

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.