The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please Help!

Nov 30, 2009


I'm freaking out right now and I really need some kind words. I recently started getting symptoms of HIV. I held off getting tested for a long time out of fear. I did all research online which exacerbated by symptoms. I talked to my previous partners to try and create a timeline for acute infection. I went in yesterday to get tested by I am getting really sick. I've lost so much weight and cant eat, my mouth has been dry for weeks with a white coating. I have no energy and have temperature spikes up and down all day night. Last night I was up every hour either freezing or sweating. I am now terrified I am entering the later stages of HIV. I've never had a test and fear I am dying. I can't sit still because my heart is racing and my muscles are shaking. The prospect of waiting a week for my results seems like it might be week too long. Please help. Is there anything I can do or take to at least calm me down or stabilize my health for the week?


Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Unhealthy,

If you have access to rapid HIV testing, you could get a definitive test result in as few as 20 minutes.

Your symptoms are quite classic for anxiety, not the latter stages of HIV/AIDS. I would suggest you consult with your general medical doctor. Anti-anxiety medications and/or counseling may help.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Follow up to H1N1 Vaccine Question
pneomococcal vaccines flu vaccine

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint