Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PEP required please suggest
Nov 29, 2009

Hi Dr. Bob

I have been a worried well for a time until you rested all my worries unfortunately this time is my friend who had unprotected oral sex (csw took his penis in his mouth) with a thai sex worker on vacations.

Now he (right now sitting with me) is extremely worried for if he's at risk and thinks to go for PEP.

Please advice for if he really needs to have it.. since this is really hard we all know and it has passed just 48 hrs (he has 24 hrs still to go)

Please advice...

Many thanks Dr. Bob your advice is as always welcomed

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Insertive oral sex carries only a very minimal risk for HIV acquisition. The CDC estimates the statistical risk per-act for acquiring HIV from unprotected insertive oral sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV infected is 0.5 per 10,000 exposures. Your friend's statistical estimate would be even less, as we don't know the HIV status of his gal-pal. PEP would not be recommended for this very low potential HIV risk. If he remains worried, a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark is all that would be recommended.

Dr. Bob

Previous
I Can not find an answer to my question -Please help-I will donate
Next
Donated but no response yet!3rd time asking.IM BEGGING YOU PLS!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.