Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

pregnanat healtcare worker purposely pricked herself w/needle and now demands i take an hiv test and is getting workers comp
Nov 26, 2009

I am HIV negative as of one year ago and am celibate so no reason to have a great fear of carrying the disease. I was recently in a "chain" weight loss center having my blood drawn and the nurse wore gloves, and everything went ok. She disappeared from the exam room and came in saying to come with her and that she accidentally stabbed herself in the thigh(i dont know how as i was there watching) and now they are asking my permission to run a series of tests with my blood. She even said"i'm pregnant and will have to get workers comp"..what?? what are my rights? I am perfectly willing to get tested with a certified facility, but now that I know or think this is a set up what do i do?I was a healthcare worker and unless laws and rights have changed in the past 5 years, i dont have to do anything. Am i right?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

You are correct: You are not required by law to do anything. If you feel the situation is a "set up," advise the person in charge at the weight loss center. In case it's not a setup, you could offer to go with the nurse to a qualified medical facility where her incident could be documented and you could agree to be tested there if you so desire.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thanks for all you do
Next
Post Pep Tests

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.